Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default Auto to Manual

Hey guys, When i bought my mustang I never drove a stick before. Recently I've learned on a winter beater I have. Now I really wish my car was a manual. How big is this conversion? Has anyone done it? What is the approximate cost? Whats my auto tranny worth? My car has about 40k miles.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevilay
Hey guys, When i bought my mustang I never drove a stick before. Recently I've learned on a winter beater I have. Now I really wish my car was a manual. How big is this conversion? Has anyone done it? What is the approximate cost? Whats my auto tranny worth? My car has about 40k miles.

Thanks,
Kevin
not sure on cost, but its not just the tranny you'll need. youll need the tranny, wire harnesses, reprogram the system, etc.
dont take my word on it, but many people may say trade it in and buy another one that is manual if you are in that situation. Either way, its quite pricey
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
not sure on cost, but its not just the tranny you'll need. youll need the tranny, wire harnesses, reprogram the system, etc.
dont take my word on it, but many people may say trade it in and buy another one that is manual if you are in that situation. Either way, its quite pricey
This was the answer I kinda of expected, sadly.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

It all depends.... If you can find a car that was totaled (preferably hit in the rear) It may not be too bad. It would help alot beause you could get everything you need off of one car, or better yet find someone who wants to swap to an auto and swap off the two cars. Kind of a long shot, but it does happen.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Finding someone that wants an auto that has a manual would be so sweet. I think this would be very rare tho
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

this is what I looked into for my old 240, however it was gonna cost way more then the value of the salvaged title car and bought my stang.
Still miss that little car but love the stang
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

The labor and parts for this would be far too extensive in my mind.. Your better off trading it in for a stick. I would not tackle this conversion.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Here's a pretty complete list of what you will need, but the cost effectiveness of doing this is tied to finding a donor car and if you are capable of doing the labor yourself. I am in the process of going the other way and probably have $2K tied up in parts as I had to buy a new harness from Ford (my donor parts came from an '06, so the harness and PCM would not work), plus a TCI shifter. And that's not counting the $1k for a custom converter plus the install costs. But in my mind, still cheaper than starting over with another car or having to mess with demodding mine. If you were not in Canada, I will have most of what you need (except the master cylinder) in another week as my car goes in on Friday.

Manual car is going to need from the automatic car:
PCM
Transmission
Transmission cooler and lines
Bell housing bolts
Torque converter
Flex plate
Flex plate bolts
Torque converter bolts
Brake pedal set and switches.
Shifter
Shifter mounting plate
Brake master cylinder reservoir
Console trim piece

Automatic car is going to need from the manual car
PCM
Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Brake pedal set
Slave cylinder and all associated lines
Brake master cylinder reservoir
Bell housing bolts
Flywheel bolts
Brake pedal/clutch pedal set and switches
Shifter
Shifter rubber boot.
Shifter leather boot for console
Console trim piece

Both cars are going to have to have the PATS system reprogrammed to match the new PCMs along with the engine harness (which is specific to years as the 05-06 is unique from the later years).
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Jcs156

I wouldn't do this conversion. I've also thought about doing this on an 03 Mustang that I had. Way too expensive and way to much work, even for a gear head.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

I'm tired of seeing people say it cost too much, it's too much work or its not worth it. I can tell you right now it is pretty straight forward and cost varies on what you want. I'm in the process of doing mine right now and just decided to swap the engine/trans with a manual one. I will tell you right now it is not cheaper trading the car in! If you say that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about!

Guess how much my swap cost me? .... Free! I bought an engine/trans with 32k and all the other parts for 3500. And have sold everything but the engine which has a pending sale and as soon as the sale goes through I will have $200 more than when I orginally started in my pocket as well as a brand spanking new engine with a manual transmission.

OP pm me and I will provide you with all the resources you need. There are plenty of people on the s197 forum who are doing these swaps. Doing just the trans portion is no harder then installing a clutch.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual