Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 GT tail wag

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

On the panhard bar- if you ever lower it you will likely need one worse (lowering seems to make the offcenter issue worse).

Driver mod is free - practice launching somewhere SAFE. Learn where the break-loose point is and how to drive "around" it. It's a slippery (no pun intended) slope between a good launch and grenading the tires, as you've seen.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

To see if your diff is bad, do a rolling burn out on asphalt somewhere so you can see the marks afterwards. If it leaves a one-wheel peel, your LSD is shot.

Check out the big NMRA drag racers - most of them run autos. The 5R55 just doesn't like 2 gear kickdowns at all

Last edited by jpplaw; 04-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have 4.10's and full off road exhaust and while I can certainly spin tires after changing the parts previously listed (LCA's and tires) I suggest you learn how to launch with 4.10's. I can launch my car pretty hard with a lot less wheel spin than you're saying on my 275 wide rear Nitto 555's.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

UPR Products suspension and those M/Ts you mentioned will make it hook like glue.

I'm running full UPR suspension on my '06 GT with 275/40-18 Nitto NT05s and it hooks very well. Drag Radials will be even better!

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...anhard-05.html
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

And turn off the TCS before you do a pull. It should be called TES (Totally Embarassing Screwup).
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
To see if your diff is bad, do a rolling burn out on asphalt somewhere so you can see the marks afterwards. If it leaves a one-wheel peel, your LSD is shot.

Check out the big NMRA drag racers - most of them run autos. The 5R55 just doesn't like 2 gear kickdowns at all
Or you can just jack up one tire and put a torque wrench on the lug nut. It should take over 25 ft lbs to turn the wheel with the other on the ground. I think the spec is 30 or 35 actually.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I have 4.10's and full off road exhaust and while I can certainly spin tires after changing the parts previously listed (LCA's and tires) I suggest you learn how to launch with 4.10's. I can launch my car pretty hard with a lot less wheel spin than you're saying on my 275 wide rear Nitto 555's.
This, if you're having trouble launching with an auto you just need to not floor it straight away. It sounds like you are just mashing it and keeping your foot down expecting it to just magically hook up. I don't have 4.10s but I can launch my 5spd very well on 275 Nitto 555's. Throttle control man, it is your friend.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

Reading a lot and taking notes guys! was kinda on the fence earlier about the pan hard bar, lot of back and forth. THEN my girlfriend read over the thread while I was in the shower... told me I'm getting a pan hard bar for my birthday whether I like it or not so that's pretty sweet. she helped lower the car.

as for the driver mod, I think everyone is right. between the new wheels and 4.10s, my driving ability could use some tweaking. I'll work on this weekend for sure and update everyone.

am I reading, turn off the traction control before a pull, correctly? just want to make sure.

once a year for spring I do a burn out in the park up the road from my house, me and a few friends to celebrate getting the cars out. I've always laid down the two thickest black lines. I'll make sure I lay down two again this year. two weeks from now if the weather holds up.

thanks everyone, I thought I was doing x-pipe in a week, dyno tuning the car and calling it quits for a while. looks like my girl has one more big upgrade coming up. suspension

oh, this may be the most retarded question anyone has seen... but will rear UCA/LCA or a panhard affect a dyno? maybe the way car . . . idk shifts or somthing? I'm guessing no, but I'd hate to be wrong after paying $500 for a dyno tune.

thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Yes turn off your TCS, it typically interferes when the most fun is being had lol. Also, suspension parts wont do anything to change your tune.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

I didn't think it would, would've been real dumb if in a few months from now I find out it did. ya know?

Quick Reply: 2006 GT tail wag