Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

VCT KNOCK

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
brandonfoursix

60k miles and I have only owned the car about a month
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM
brandonfoursix

05 mustang gt's blow apparently. This damn car has been nothing but a headache and now it's starting to get expensive and time consuming.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
brandonfoursix

Oh and one more thing I know it's not the belt tensioner pulley because it's brand new.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

This thing may have been used and abused and not taken care of whatsoever.. Is the oil low? By the sounds if things you seem to know a little about cars, but the simple things you wouldn't think are usually the problems in these types of situations.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

My car does the exact same and after 63k miles it runs just as smooth and strong as day one. l'm running Scan Tool software on my tablet on everything is normal. Ford says it's VCT working and given the only issue my car has ever had was an A/C compressor seal, I believe them.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mine has gone 18k miles and same here.i can here a slight knock on tick over..only with the hood up though.
mine has had more oil changes more often than i change my underpants
Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
brandonfoursix

I run all motorcraft in mine 5w20 and fl-820s. The problem is the design of the timing chain hydraulic tensioner because it uses a rubber gasket to seal it against the block where the oil runs through it to tighten the timing chain and also lube the timing chain, what happens is over time the seal being exposed to high temps and oil deteriorates and leaks oil out. The only thing it really does is a idle makes a lightly audible knock because the oil pressure at idle is not as high and it leaks oil around the seal and the tensioner doesn't extend all the way causing the timing chain to slap the tension arm a little, when you drive the oil pressure is higher and the noise dissapears say 1100 rpms and up because at this point the pressure keeps the tensioner extended. The other thing it does is bleed out pressure after sitting 8 hours or so and when you start the car you can actually hear a 1-2 second rattle which is the oil pressure extending the tensioner and tension arm to tighten the timing chain. I don't think it's that big of a deal i'm just super meticulous about my mustangs and i'll probably tear it down soon and replace everything timing chains, arms, tensioners and guides. IMO if you go through all the trouble to pull the timing cover may as well change everything while you're under there. It will take some time to get all the things that I need for the job though some of these specialty tools are really expensive. Ford always will tell you its the VCT and not to worry mainly because they don't want to tear the engine down especially if it's under warranty that's the same thing they told me and I believed them too until I stuck a deep socket onto an extension and traced the noise to its origin but I also have a service manager buddy who has a f-150 4.6 3v and his timing chain tensioner has done the same thing for 60k miles (his is at 125K now) and his truck still runs good so IDK maybe I should just turn up the stereo and forget about it LOL
Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
brandonfoursix

This car had sat in the ford lot for 6 to 8 months before I bought it and at 60k it had alot of maintenance to be done and a few little things that were going on with it. The speed sensor in the transmission was leaking so I pulled it and cleaned the o-ring stuck it back in and the leak stopped, 2nd thing was the flexplate cover between the engine and transmission was missing the 2 bottom bolts and rattleing so I had to buy the bolts and some rubber washers and got that fixed up, 3rd thing was new fuel filter, spark plugs (got them all out without breaking one following for tsb), 4th thing was I had a very annoying belt squeal at high rpms so I changed all 3 idler pulleys, tensioner pulley and re aligned the power steering pump pulley just to find out there is a metal guard right above the PS pump pulley that guards the pulley from radiator hoses and it was bent down too close and the belt was squealing against it so I bent it up away from the pulley by hand and fixed that issue. Other than those small things the car is tight, clutch is tight, steering is tight and doesn't feel like an abused car at all, just normal things.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you've talked yourself back into the fact that its a pretty good car.? Yes?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 AM
brandonfoursix

LOL I love the car ski but my irish temper gets the better of me at times even more so that I had to sell my AR-15 to do this timing chain tensioner job. Not very happy about that one, but when does bad stuff ever happen at an opportune moment?

Quick Reply: VCT KNOCK