Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

where did my top end go? 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 AM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

Default where did my top end go? 4.10s

okay so before my 4.10s, my car hit a pretty easy 120 (open, empty road) and I could feel she had plenty of gear left and power to push her but I'd always let off he throttle. 120mph is good enough for me. flash forward to now and the car is really running out of *** around 100. so let me pitch my thoughts and you guys can correct me.

I'm spinning tires well into 3rd right now with traction control off before moving, so I'm looking to sacrifice some low end torque to gain some power at the high end. talking about those mods that always scared me, more specifically an intake plenum. which I've always heard has lost people some low end, but pays off in the end.

if there are any more similar mods I'd like to hear about them. I'm getting rear suspension mods pretty soon too. I'm not trying to dog my car down at the low end, but why waste the power if I can make a modification and pick it back up where it will be more helpful?

thanks everyone,
Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

When you changed your gears to a lower ratio, you raised your engines RPM to keep the car moving at any given speed. You are running out of breath is what you are doing. Yes you burn tires at will but, you have traded top end for off the line punch. The only real way to gain top end is to go with a higher ratio. Your engine redlines @ 6K. It will only tune that fast unless you custom tune it and even then you are only going to gain 500 rpm's more or less.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah it's a trade off. More mods will cure it.

I have 4.10's and a supercharger and she pulls real nice past 100.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

well that's good to hear, I'm not expecting to fly through 100-120 like I use to or like someone with F/I but it just really seemed to slow down around the 95-100 mark. Just wanted some confirmation, if all else fails I'll take it to my shop and ask my guy which gears he suggest.

thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you are spinning through third, then you need better tires or better suspension. Is your car lowered?

Is this an auto or manual?

I looked at your previous posts and you have frpp K springs, same as me. You should have a relocation bracket for your lower control arms. Not only will it greatly improve your traction, but it will ride a whole lot better. Also get those shocks mentioned in your summer of suspension post. Don't worry about the struts right now if you don't want, but get some shocks like koni str's that are designed for lowering springs. my rear would hit the bump stops all the time before adding kyb gas-adjust shocks, now it never does. My bumpstops are cut in half too boot!

Last edited by moosestang; 05-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

the car IS lowered, ford racing K-springs (1.5", looking to raise that with the 1" variant) and I have Rear upper and lower control arms and a pan hard bar going in at the end of the month. she's an auto - 2006. one day i'll get a sig to put all this stuff in. I have under drive pullies, cold air intake, longtube headers, x-pipes, flowmaster outlaws, 17x10 on the rear with 315/35/17 tires (getting taller mickeys when I raise the car) and I run a 93oct race tune.

read you're edit man - new shocks and struts are going on with the new springs. it's nice to hear the benefits. car rides like a brick right now. haha

Last edited by grandpajay; 05-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grandpajay
the car IS lowered, ford racing K-springs (1.5", looking to raise that with the 1" variant) and I have Rear upper and lower control arms and a pan hard bar going in at the end of the month. she's an auto - 2006. one day i'll get a sig to put all this stuff in. I have under drive pullies, cold air intake, longtube headers, x-pipes, flowmaster outlaws, 17x10 on the rear with 315/35/17 tires (getting taller mickeys when I raise the car) and I run a 93oct race tune.

Why do you want to raise the car? Get stiffer shocks. Re-read my post above, I added my experience with K springs and shocks. I use a 28 inch tall drag radial with no problem. Get the relocation brackets, they make a big difference.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
grandpajay
1st Gear Member

I'm actually raising the car because the roads in my area, specifically going in and out of parking lots or gas station, are on some sharp inclines/declines. can't make it over many speed bumps either. didn't buy my Mustang to tip toe around the area like a honda civic, ya know? I WILL get the shocks and struts first and see what they do for me. if they get me up a .5" or so and I can manage the speed bumbs
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
brandonfoursix

yeah I had 4.10's in my 03 gt speed and after 100 it really slowed down. It's just the lower gear ratio and I personally didn't care for the 4.10's as a daily driver.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

how would a lower suspension make tires spin ?

Quick Reply: where did my top end go? 4.10s