Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking bout buying a used votech v3 kit question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
dbirdrm
1st Gear Member

Default Thinking bout buying a used votech v3 kit question...

So i have an 08 gt/cs with 4.10 gears lowering springs, x pipe, cai tune right now, and i found a good deal for a vortech v3 supercharger. Its the complete kit minus injectors with 5000 miles on it and i could get it for a little under $2,000 which sounds like a pretty good deal. My only concern is no intercooler. This car is my DD car, I live in NJ and drive year round you think it be a mistake to not get the intercooler? I want the intercooler but right now i don't have the extra $1700 for it, but I don't want to pass up the good deal.

my options would be
1) get the supercharger and forget about the intercooler
2) get the kit now and don't install it, wait to save up for intercooler put it all in at once
3) install it now, get intercooler down the road if I feel the need, obv not a smart move $$$ wise
4) pass on the deal save up more money find a deal down the road.

Im just wondering as a DD car living in NJ if you guys think it be ok to go without the intercooler. Guy said hes making 416/391 which is plenty of power for me now. I'm just worried about future problems and power consistency, Thanks guys!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

It's all about the boost being made; the centri chargers sell non IC kits, but make lower boost (obviously heat is the enemy). I personally plan on going FI with a roots/TS blower so I don't know alot about the centri's; but I would probably go with option 2 or 3... If he has it set for a higher boost than sold by the company direct, I would wait for the IC. Just my $0.02
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

I'd say go for it. I've been driving around a Vortech V3 non intercooled kit for the past year. When you're at low PSI(I'm at 6.5psi with a 3.8" pulley) The intercooler isn't a necessity, and I live in a similar climate in Mass. And the great thing is if you do want an intercooler later, which I do, you can always pick up this kit for $629 after the fact, and it's a fully bolt on kit for our cars.

I just personally wouldn't go past 6.5psi non intercooled. That put me at 404rwhp/360rwtq in an automatic. I want to bump up to 8-10psi when I do the intercooler this summer, but need to replace my transmission first.

The only time where you'll really notice the difference between intercooled and non intercooled is on really hot days. Your IATs will increase and you'll lose power, but it'll still work no problem and still have more power than non supercharged.

The reason I went with the Vortech in the first place was cost, and the ability to upgrade later. But not having an intercooler hasn't stopped me from enjoying the boost.

So I'd say option 3.

And I daily drive my car as well
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Personally I think you should buy my F1R kit

I would get an intercooler as soon as you can afford one.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM
dbirdrm
1st Gear Member

I've never seen that cx racing intercooler, If its good quality being $1000 cheaper then the other one is a steal.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its a good deal. Personally i wouldnt buy such a part once its been used but everyone will have different opinions about that.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dbirdrm
I've never seen that cx racing intercooler, If its good quality being $1000 cheaper then the other one is a steal.
Alot have people have been doing a DIY intercooler using a CX Racing intercooler for a while, but up until this past December you had to get a universal piping kit and fab it up yourself. Where as this newly released kit is bolt on for the s197 and specifically made for our cars. They make a pretty good kit.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have read about some vortech kits that are not recommended for cold weather. I cant remember his name but a guy from Alaska had one and had to take if off every winter. Do your research before you buy.