Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

car is finally running, all BAP and tune related nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default car is finally running, all BAP and tune related nonsense

Hey all. My car is finally running.

Problem 1. Dual BAP was LOWERING actual voltage at high load for some reason. I took it out of the loop for now and need to figure out if KB told me the wrong pin to use to install. There are 2 red wires on each FPDM on the Ford Racing pumps and they said to use the outer red wire.

Problem 2. Advantage software does not give you all of the access needed to tune a car with everything modified.

Problem 3. I paid a tuner to look over my tune and make ETC changes and get rid of my transient fuel issue. Problem is he said I didn't need to scale the tune. Chased my tail for a week. He did help me out a lot though. I was stuck with the advantage access.

Basically a SCT BA5000 needs to be scaled on a 2006 GT. Bottom line.

Car runs great. Has a really weird issue with rich on 5th, 6th gear low load. Same MAF counts different gears, almost perfect.

60 lb injectors are at 83.5% at only 6150 rpms @39.15psi.

*** If anyone tells you 60 lb injectors are good until 700 rwhp, its not at 39.15 psi. It's more like 50 psi plus.

Going to try and raise fuel pressure on high load and hope the fuel pump duty cycle is still under 90% or I need to get this dual bap working faster.

I learned a lot about making major mods without having full access/knowledge lol of the PCM.

Going to the dyno to tighten up the timing and fuel on the top end.

waiting on my 3 gallon tank to go in driver fender well as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great! i'm glad to hear it's running. now just a little tweeking of the tune
and you are golden.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

i thought everyone increased fuel pressure to coincide with boost pressure? I noticed that my brenspeed tune runs higher pressure than my vmp tune. There must be some advantage to increasing pressure vs. increasing injector size.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Nice looking engine compartment.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

So I tried out the dual bap again, it was back feeding voltage. I used 2 single baps I had, one for each FPDM and it worked. Fuel pump duty cycle down to about 70% (it maxed at 94.5% at 6450 rpms). I increased Injector Pressure Drop Change with High Load at 1.66 #/mass to 44 psi. Everything is finally working.

Car is crazy fast at only 13 degrees max of timing.

Next step is to test out the Meth kit for the IAT's.

Car still gets over 22 mph with the 6sp. insane.

So I bought a used BAP on one of these forums and it was bad. It's going in the garbage. It's hard to buy used electronics.

Dyno still on for Friday to tighten things up.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
i thought everyone increased fuel pressure to coincide with boost pressure? I noticed that my brenspeed tune runs higher pressure than my vmp tune. There must be some advantage to increasing pressure vs. increasing injector size.
I asked 4 tuners which was better. Larger injector at a solid 39.15 psi or smaller injector and increased PSI under high load/boost. 2 said larger injectors and 2 said pressure as long as pump can handle it.

So, I just played with pressure today and got it dialed in pretty good. I will lean it out once I get it on the dyno with a high-end wideband.

Thanks about the engine compartment. Made the cover for the wiring disaster in the fender well. Lots of powder coating going on...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
So I tried out the dual bap again, it was back feeding voltage. I used 2 single baps I had, one for each FPDM and it worked. Fuel pump duty cycle down to about 70% (it maxed at 94.5% at 6450 rpms). I increased Injector Pressure Drop Change with High Load at 1.66 #/mass to 44 psi. Everything is finally working.

Car is crazy fast at only 13 degrees max of timing.

Next step is to test out the Meth kit for the IAT's.

Car still gets over 22 mph with the 6sp. insane.

So I bought a used BAP on one of these forums and it was bad. It's going in the garbage. It's hard to buy used electronics.

Dyno still on for Friday to tighten things up.
What psi are you running?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
What psi are you running?
Pulley setup should be about 18, but with the bigger heads. cams, etc I am right at 15 psi.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Cool, so you're pretty much up and running now. Looking forward to the specifics after the dyno session.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My timing is 17.5 @16psi. 91 octane 540 rwhp. It is a street tune.

Quick Reply: car is finally running, all BAP and tune related nonsense