Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pype Bombs clamping issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down Pype Bombs clamping issues

I purchased Pype Bombs for my car from american muscle, I installed them and everything went fine but I keep on noticing that they slide off little by little so I took the whole thing apart, put it back together again, I also change the nut they gave for stronger ones and I even double nut them to provide them from coming loose. It is still sliding but less and now a new issue appeared: the tailpipe is now hitting at my wheel well... So I finally decide to call the customer service and the guy told me that I needed to use an impact wrench to keep it from sliding (that would have been nice if they could have said it in the installation notice) and he said that I had to adjust the mid pipes too (which is not said anywhere in the procedure either btw). So I was wondering if anybody had this issue too?

Also since the first install part of their collar broke, so I asked them to send me replacement, might as well do it right. The representative wanted to sell them to me???!!! I am kind of disappointed by the customer service to be honest...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

AM or Pypes CS? I've heard Pypes CS stinks, but have no experience with them. I've (luckily) never had any issues with anything I've got from AM, but I hear their CS is excellent for the most part.

Concerning the Pypes fitment, my Violators didn't fit for **** where it clamps to the over-axle pipe. Never could get it the collars tightened up. I finally ended up taking it to a friend's muffler shop and they had to tack the collars in place before they could tighten them.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

I'm talking about Pypes CS, AM has a very good CS and they've always been very good but this time they said they don't have any replacement parts for these pype bombs and that I should see directly with Pypes. I'm gonna try the impact wrench and re adjust my mid pipes and if it still slides then I'll take it to a muffler shop.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

No personal experience but I heard Pype's clamps are junk. Buy some gennie Accuseals off ebay, you won't be disappointed.

Additionally, I'm assuming the pype bombs have two slots cut in the pipe where they attach? You may need to cut two more so you have 4 slots, it clamps down a lot easier that way. You could try that before buying new clamps.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
No personal experience but I heard Pype's clamps are junk. Buy some gennie Accuseals off ebay, you won't be disappointed.

Additionally, I'm assuming the pype bombs have two slots cut in the pipe where they attach? You may need to cut two more so you have 4 slots, it clamps down a lot easier that way. You could try that before buying new clamps.
You're right, they have two small cut. Cutting two extra ones seems like a good idea. Thanks ghunt
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by French_Frize
I purchased Pype Bombs for my car from american muscle, I installed them and everything went fine but I keep on noticing that they slide off little by little so I took the whole thing apart, put it back together again, I also change the nut they gave for stronger ones and I even double nut them to provide them from coming loose. It is still sliding but less and now a new issue appeared: the tailpipe is now hitting at my wheel well... So I finally decide to call the customer service and the guy told me that I needed to use an impact wrench to keep it from sliding (that would have been nice if they could have said it in the installation notice) and he said that I had to adjust the mid pipes too (which is not said anywhere in the procedure either btw). So I was wondering if anybody had this issue too?

Also since the first install part of their collar broke, so I asked them to send me replacement, might as well do it right. The representative wanted to sell them to me???!!! I am kind of disappointed by the customer service to be honest...
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your Pype's Axle-Back. I wish there was more I could do for you, unfortunately this is in the hands of the manufacture now. They should be able to get you squared away with some replacement parts.

Keep us posted and please let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

C'mon pypes get your act together already. All I ever read about is poor fitment and poor customer service. Shameful.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have found every axle back supplied clamp blows...... especially the band ones, they really suck. I ended up using old school c clamp style ones and they worked excellent. Any auto parts store or Ace hardware sell them.