Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Broken plugs... go figure

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Broken plugs... go figure

So, I have read as much as I could find, and it seems that no matter what I do I will be SOL. and the specific questions below I couldnt find the answer for. I followed the TSB to the letter and 3 of 8 plugs broke off (all on pass side at least). I purchased the porcelain bonding agent/removal tool and attempted to use it once... but for whatever reason it failed. I am attempting it again with the problems. So now I am at the conundrum of:

Do I continue to try this? and then I have to buy whatever the tool is to pull the electrode shield out as well (Cant find the "common name" for it.... Lisle?), or take it to Ford...

For anyone who has taken it to Ford, do they know what they charge for it? I allready have to pay to tow it up there which is going to suck (approx 15 miles to the closest ford) and how much it would cost for them to fix these 3 cylinders?

Lastly, I have the full extended crazy covers nearly everything warranty until my 72,000 mile mark. Will any of this be covered under warranty or am I screwed cause I tried to do what shouldve been simple maintenance myself?

Thanks....
Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Lisle 65600

If you take it to Ford, you're going to get reemed. Last figure I saw was in the neighborhood of $500 depending on how many were broken. Plus a $75 or better tow.

Just get the Lisle tool and finish it up yourself. I don't think it is covered by warranty, because the plugs are technically 100k mile plugs.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Hmm.. I have a variant of the rotunda tool... well half the kit, glad it only cost $27 to be out... soon as I get paid I will pick that lisle tool up... looks easy peasy.. seems my local autozone doesnt have one for rent/loaner
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

NP. Yeah it seems to be really hit and miss on the loaner program with that tool. If you buy locally it will be close to $100 probably, Amazon/eBay usually have it for less than $70.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM
colklink

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Lastly, I have the full extended crazy covers nearly everything warranty until my 72,000 mile mark. Will any of this be covered under warranty or am I screwed cause I tried to do what shouldve been simple maintenance myself?

Thanks....
I recently bought a mustang and opted for that warranty (but later cancelled it within my cancellation period) Doubtful they would cover it, but even if they do, there is $100 deductible, so you might as well just buy the tool.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

And get some 1 piece plugs too.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Just changed mine out on my 05 GT on Saturday. Get the Lisle tool, I got mine from a local napa store. Luckily all mine came out so I was able to return it but they had it in stock at least.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Otter

Originally Posted by hootie_john
NP. Yeah it seems to be really hit and miss on the loaner program with that tool. If you buy locally it will be close to $100 probably, Amazon/eBay usually have it for less than $70.
I bought the Lisle tool for $65.00 on Amazon a few years ago and it worked like a charm. Local Autozone didn't have it for loan and the guy I dealt with said NO MECHANIC local would touch a 4.6 stang to change the plugs because of the breakage and they don't stock the tool for that reason. I had 3 plugs break and it was easy-peasy to use the tool and get new plugs in. Admittedly, the guy at Autozone scared the heck out of me but it all worked out. Just goes to show you that just cuz someone works at a car parts place doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plugs

Do yourself a favor and replace with one piece Champion double platinum plugs. You'll sleep better.

Quick Reply: Broken plugs... go figure