Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes LTs installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
For those of you who did the install - any "must have" tools? Outside of your normal stuff, anything special that you used or wish you would have had? I have a pretty decent set of hand tools - multiple drive sockets/ratchets/wrenches/ratcheting wrenches, etc....but no "big stuff" like impact drivers.
I believe it sometimes depends on the brand of headers...for example, on my JBA's you could get most of the bottom bolts with a ratchet if you really wanted to. I mostly used plain old box end wrenches to tighten everything down (I have one long-handled wrench set that was really handy for final tightening), but there were several spots where it was very useful to have shorty and flex head ratcheting wrenches!

Also, the passenger side motor mount can be a little tough to get at with the headers installed and the motor set back down. I read one guide where the guy writing it (for MAC's) called for a crow's foot but even that wouldn't work in my instance. I just had to squeeze my hand in there with a standard wrench and tighten it as best I could.

The rest of it is pretty standard stuff, removing the starter, steering shaft etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have access to a lift when (if) I ever get around to doing this mod, so hopefully that will help some. I'm not a huge fan of crawling under cars any longer - seems to be less appealing the older I get.

Does the trumpeting happen with O/R H pipes too, or is it more related to the X pipe?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Trumpeting has happened to guys running both H and X...catless seems to be the common denominator. When cats are added back it most often helps alot. Some guys luck out with their specific combination of headers,midpipe, and muffler while still being catless.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

so if you look at the american muscle page they got that vid of the pypes pipe bom and the pypes off road x on there car. sounds so great doesnt trumpet at all and they didnt do any headers. i was thinking of doing that. now will i get the same results?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuffinSpecial
so if you look at the american muscle page they got that vid of the pypes pipe bom and the pypes off road x on there car. sounds so great doesnt trumpet at all and they didnt do any headers. i was thinking of doing that. now will i get the same results?
Where is the video? Is it just the car doing revs? If I remember, the trumpeting only happens under load, so just revs you won't hear it.

Also, I see you're in Mass. Don't do an O/R pipe and muffler deletes. It really sounds bad, and you'll attract a lot of un-wanted attention from the cops.

Join us in the mass section for chit-chat, if you live around some of us we'd be happy to let you hear what exhaust we have and you can make an informed decision.

What area are you from?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

in the video they drive off under a lot of throttle. and im in andover (not spoiled rich kid lol) and ill join the page sound good. so far i have to muff deletes and ive had like 3 cops tell me they love the sound. its pretty funny lol. cops in andover are nice at least. lol
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I think the deletes sound good, but once you go O/R its just too intense.

I'm right down 114 in Peabody/Danvers. If you ever want to hear my setup, just let me know!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

ah thats pretty close. i may take you up on that offer some time. always good to see another stang. im all about intense sound tho lol. i ges thats just me but i love when a car screams ya know?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

After installing longtubes and cams my exhaust tone was just awful. Splicing in some pypes m80s cut out the trumpeting completely and also deepened my tone. HF cats did nothing to reduce the trumpeting too. I tried them first.

A 13 mm flexhead ratcheting box wrench is a must for LT install.....so is a pair of gloves....you will bleed like a pig with this install so be prepared. LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuffinSpecial
ah thats pretty close. i may take you up on that offer some time. always good to see another stang. im all about intense sound tho lol. i ges thats just me but i love when a car screams ya know?
I liked it for 3 months and then it was too much.woke the neighbors in the morning. Got the attention of every cop for a block or two...

I do miss it's intensity sometimes though.

Quick Reply: Pypes LTs installed