Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pypes LTs installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Default Pypes LTs installed

Installed Pypes stainless long tubes with the off road x and Bama tune...Nice gain according to the butt dyno! Take it to the dyno soon for results. Pypes quality is great and fit was absolutely perfect...welds were great and the flanges are nice and thick. These are clones of Kooks, same material, same welds, same everything...half the price. Looks so good under the hood. And those who say the install is a PITA...so right! Taking off the stock manifolds was tedious....the headers cut down the amount of usable space for tightening those bolts back up. 10 hours ain't bad though. And those who think they'll do this without a second set of hands to help...good luck with that. I had a buddy who wrenches on trucks help out. Anyways...Sounds like sex at idle and part throttle! BUT...The Bassani race axle backs trumpet unbelievably at full throttle. Holy crap it's bad. Sounds like a redneck Camaro with glasspacks. It's embarrasing!
I'm thinking maybe install the cats from my Bassani x pipe to stop the trumpeting, but first I'll try my stock mufflers just to see how that sounds since axle-backs are proven to add almost no hp anyways.

Just thought I'd share my experience and say that headers are worth the cost for sound and a decent gain.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

My guess is it will still trumpet with the stock mufflers. Instead of cats, try tossing in some M-80's before the rear axle and it will cut the trumpeting out, as well as clean up the tone and decrease drone!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Installed Pypes stainless long tubes with the off road x and Bama tune...Nice gain according to the butt dyno! Take it to the dyno soon for results. Pypes quality is great and fit was absolutely perfect...welds were great and the flanges are nice and thick. These are clones of Kooks, same material, same welds, same everything...half the price. Looks so good under the hood. And those who say the install is a PITA...so right! Taking off the stock manifolds was tedious....the headers cut down the amount of usable space for tightening those bolts back up. 10 hours ain't bad though. And those who think they'll do this without a second set of hands to help...good luck with that. I had a buddy who wrenches on trucks help out. Anyways...Sounds like sex at idle and part throttle! BUT...The Bassani race axle backs trumpet unbelievably at full throttle. Holy crap it's bad. Sounds like a redneck Camaro with glasspacks. It's embarrasing!
I'm thinking maybe install the cats from my Bassani x pipe to stop the trumpeting, but first I'll try my stock mufflers just to see how that sounds since axle-backs are proven to add almost no hp anyways.

Just thought I'd share my experience and say that headers are worth the cost for sound and a decent gain.
Very cool! I Run these same Headers on my 2011 GT, with an O/R X-pipe. I started with a Borla Axle-Back and it was a little too loud for my liking! I went with the Ford Racing GT500 Style Muffler and it sounds awesome now, I love it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
And those who think they'll do this without a second set of hands to help...good luck with that.
I did, didn't think it was too bad. Slotting a couple of the bottom bolt holes is the key to that though.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

For those of you who did the install - any "must have" tools? Outside of your normal stuff, anything special that you used or wish you would have had? I have a pretty decent set of hand tools - multiple drive sockets/ratchets/wrenches/ratcheting wrenches, etc....but no "big stuff" like impact drivers.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
For those of you who did the install - any "must have" tools? Outside of your normal stuff, anything special that you used or wish you would have had? I have a pretty decent set of hand tools - multiple drive sockets/ratchets/wrenches/ratcheting wrenches, etc....but no "big stuff" like impact drivers.
looks like you have it already, but ratcheting wrenches (13mm) and universal joints are a must
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Ricardo, you should post up a dyno video with that exhaust. My old set up with MAC Boomtubes trumpeted like crazy but my Bassani Race's don't or at least not enough for me to hear inside. Then again I have MAC LT's not Pypes.

What other mods do you have? Intake?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

hey everyone... sooooo what exactly is trumpeting? cuuuuz im gunna put pypes off road x on my car and i have pypes pipe bomb on there now. thats all. but i wanna know how this set up will work. i imagine it will be quite loud.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuffinSpecial
hey everyone... sooooo what exactly is trumpeting? cuuuuz im gunna put pypes off road x on my car and i have pypes pipe bomb on there now. thats all. but i wanna know how this set up will work. i imagine it will be quite loud.
You will most definitely have it. Any of the Pypebomb, Boomtube, or Loudmouth style resonators/axle backs should produce it especially when coupled with longtubes and off road X's. It will also be very loud. On a neutral rev, my Mac LT + o/r ProChamber and Boomtubes (similar style) would consistently go over 120dB. Under load it was louder and the drone was awful. You'll want to add a pair of resonators before the axle.

Could not quickly find a good video but just imagine a v8 pickup truck under medium-heavy throttle and the annoying popping sound you hear that is very loud. It's not a smooth rumble and is usually higher pitched than you expect.

Last edited by JCON; 06-25-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Oh wow, a lot of great replies! Thanks guys

Originally Posted by S197GT07
My guess is it will still trumpet with the stock mufflers. Instead of cats, try tossing in some M-80's before the rear axle and it will cut the trumpeting out, as well as clean up the tone and decrease drone!
Ok, I'll look in to that. My main concern is not losing loudness and the meanness of the exhaust right now. Anything that cleans up the tone would be awesome! I'm going to have the local shop fab up a set of extensions for my cats so I can do emissions testing when it comes time but the rest of the time something like those M80s could help out.
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Very cool! I Run these same Headers on my 2011 GT, with an O/R X-pipe. I started with a Borla Axle-Back and it was a little too loud for my liking! I went with the Ford Racing GT500 Style Muffler and it sounds awesome now, I love it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Will do Dan! Thanks for the reply. Definitely very happy with AM service and my headers! The tune actually made downshifts much more smoother and less jerky when I let off the throttle. I'll definitely call if I need any help. BTW...AM rocks!
Originally Posted by hootie_john
I got away with normal box wrenches, sockets, deep sockets, and a big rubber mallet (for the old x-pipe). Ratcheting wrenches and a universal swivel like S197GT07 said would have made life so much easier! Oh and a 18", 12", and 6" extension came in handy like you wouldn't believe!
Originally Posted by JCON
Ricardo, you should post up a dyno video with that exhaust. My old set up with MAC Boomtubes trumpeted like crazy but my Bassani Race's don't or at least not enough for me to hear inside. Then again I have MAC LT's not Pypes.

What other mods do you have? Intake?
No problem! I'll do the dyno run with it on so you can hear when it switches from sounding good to pure bleating trumpet. My engine mods are JLT Series II intake/Pypes LT's/off road x/Bama 91 tune. Also 4.10s and short shifter but those really don't mess with the sound.

Originally Posted by MuffinSpecial
Well, when you're accelerating normally the car sounds great and the exhaust sounds like a muscle car. Then around 2700 RPM the deepness goes away and it changes to this sound like a bleating kinda of ricer fart can sound. Yeah, think of that farting sound a crappy exhaust on a Honda makes but louder and deeper. Full throttle is bad. Internet research shows it can happen most often with cat deletes but can be stopped with high flow cats or resonators. I've been researching across the 'Stang forums and will try some suggestions. I have a set of Bassani metallic high flow cats, so those could be the solution. I'll definitely report back with what I find works the best with these headers. Shouldn't be too hard. BUT I will add that this is no way any reason to not consider headers or off road pipe...they really do give the car some nice pick up and the sound does turn heads for sure!

Quick Reply: Pypes LTs installed