Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

humming sound

Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Starhawesjr

Default humming sound

I have read some other threads on this subject but didnt come to a clear cut solution. I have a 2007 GT vert and the more gas that I give the car the higher humming sound. It all most like it has a supercharger in it but of course it does not. On another note my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. My breaks work but I know this is not suppose to be this way.
Someone help
thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

For the brake pedal, you may need more fluid or have air which would cause the pedal to drop to the floor.

On the humming, does it sound like an electric motor? Where is the sound coming from. If you remove the lower portion of your back seat and drive, is the hum louder? If so, it's your fuel pump.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

These are all very good but first check the back seat for a person who is humming or a bird of the same name

Seriously humming or whine? Fuel pump bad, exhaust drone, bad gear set-up or lose body parts vibrating in the wind. Does the noise start at a set speed and subside if you let-up on the gas? You need a friend/enemy to tare-up your car while you drive to find that noise.

Or madness will ensue.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Contact your tuner for a new tune. He can program the PCM so the car knows the words instead of having to hum that tune...

Seriously, if the humming is totally speed related and not gear related, it's likely tire noise or (less likely) a bearing.

As far as the brakes and adding to what was stated above, you may also have a bad master cylinder.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Does it only make the noise when your moving or do you still hear it when your parked & increase the RPMs? If it does it when your parked I'd look at the pulleys for a bearing going bad.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Starhawesjr

Thanks I'll try and check the brakes next week when I'm off. The sound, I can't pin point where it is coming from. The more gas I give it the higher the sound. Its more like a whirring sound. It starts probably around 20 mph.

Originally Posted by JCON
For the brake pedal, you may need more fluid or have air which would cause the pedal to drop to the floor.

On the humming, does it sound like an electric motor? Where is the sound coming from. If you remove the lower portion of your back seat and drive, is the hum louder? If so, it's your fuel pump.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Starhawesjr

To my knowledge onky when its moving. I will try later today to rev it while parked to see if it does it.
Thanks

Originally Posted by tbar
Does it only make the noise when your moving or do you still hear it when your parked & increase the RPMs? If it does it when your parked I'd look at the pulleys for a bearing going bad.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Starhawesjr

Ok, revved the car in park and the noise wasnt there. The noise is till there when driving.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Could be load dependent, revving while in N doesn't use much of the engine or gas. If you are a manual, drive your car then go neutral and let it coast. Note whether or not your rpms drop to around 900-1000 while it's coasting and whether or not you still hear it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Starhawesjr

Its an auto, however, I didn't put in neutral but let it coast and down hill and the noise was just as loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: humming sound