Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Intake Manifold & Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake Manifold & Throttle Body?

Lately I've been researching whether or not I should pick up a throttle body for my 06 Gt. My current mods right now are CAI (air raid), LT Headers (bbk), Shorty X catted (obviously), and a tune to wrap them all together.

I've seen people say the throttle bodies cause problems so I'm already refraining from them, however I'm planning on buying that ford racing intake mani and I thought it would all work perfect and see a much better gain with a throttle body. So what does everyone think/know?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

No. The stock one flows more than you need unless you go forced induction or have a fully-built N/A engine, even with that manifold. I have the manifold and you WILL lose some power down low, but I still love it.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Manifold waste of time unless you have an N/A engine that pulls to 7,500RPM. As for TB a lot of people knock them, I have a GT-500 on mine and I felt a difference. No problems because the FRPP units come with new calibrated electronics.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

This recently came up in another thread. Stock one is the best for anything other than heavy mods like fully built and/or boost. For appearance and a better acceleration response and feel, get your stock one ported and polished if you want to be different.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ever consider cams?
Will make the car feel so awesome and with long tubes and a tune adjustment you'll see around a 35-42hp gain.

When we had our 06gt we gained 40.
It seemed like our GT turned into a whole new beast.
Some say that with CAI and tune but we in NO way thought our 06gt felt like a different car with just those.
Cams turn it into a whole different animal!

The shake and sound of cams are so friggin cool too!

You should think about it!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-16-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 AM
2013FiveOh

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Lately I've been researching whether or not I should pick up a throttle body for my 06 Gt. My current mods right now are CAI (air raid), LT Headers (bbk), Shorty X catted (obviously), and a tune to wrap them all together.

I've seen people say the throttle bodies cause problems so I'm already refraining from them, however I'm planning on buying that ford racing intake mani and I thought it would all work perfect and see a much better gain with a throttle body. So what does everyone think/know?
Your exhaust flows well, and so does your intake, and i'd assume you're fairly happy with what is probably over 300rwhp? An intake manifold and a throttle body will certainly gain you some hp in the mid-range/top end. Your engine will be flowing more air, so a re-tune will tie these new mods together, maybe a slight retardation of the timing so that your engine screams more in the upper RPM's. Set your rev limiter to 7,000 rpm and let her wail.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Do not under any circumstances other than built block and performance valvetrain set your rev limiter to 7,000. That a great way to bend/break stuff. Get the Ford Racing Hot Rod cams. Great performance increases and Ford safely rates them for up to 6,800rpms on stock valvetrain.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

LOL @ 7k rev limit for many reasons. Gears, cams, traction is what OP needs to look into now. I's skip the manifold and spend money elsewhere. In fact for the price of cams, gears, and the install for both OP could get a Vortech kit from AM or Brenspeed for a little more.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Do NOT set your rev to 7k.
That is horrible advice and I can't believe someone would advise that.

Ricardo is right.
Do the cams it save money up for a supercharger.
Definitely do gears if you have not already.
I would go 4.10s without hesitation

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Ever consider cams?
Will make the car feel so awesome and with long tubes and a tune adjustment you'll see around a 35-42hp gain.

When we had our 06gt we gained 40.
It seemed like our GT turned into a whole new beast.
Some say that with CAI and tune but we in NO way thought our 06gt felt like a different car with just those.
Cams turn it into a whole different animal!

The shake and sound of cams are so friggin cool too!

You should think about it!
Actually I have been considering cams lately but what's stoping me is my neighbors lol. Ill probably drop some in there after a few visual mods, gotta start making it look like a beast now that I have the sound.

But seriously? That much power from cams? And according to another post I saw, you can raise the rev limiter too so that should help with power as well correct?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold & Throttle Body?