Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Radiator/Hoses/Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Default Radiator/Hoses/Fan

I'm planning my modifications, and want to make sure I don't cause an issue by not considering the various systems.

1. What engine upgrades would require a larger radiator, or larger fans?

2. Silicone hoses vs. rubber hoses? Any benefit to changing to silicone hoses?

3. Are all-aluminum radiators (Mishimoto) superior to the stock radiators with plastic tanks? Do the spring leaks as easily as the plastic tanks?

Thanks for the info, fellas!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

1. High boost forced induction or a high shot of nitrous may require more cooling but our stock cooling is pretty good

2.Silicon is superior to rubber but in the end it doesn't really matter, my 05 is 9 years old (built in late 04) and the rubber hoses are fine with no cracks

3. The Mishimoto does offer additional cooling capacity and front end weight savings but again my 9 year old radiator doesn't have any rust on it. Regular coolant flushes every few years will help keep the level of rust prohibitors in the coolant system up. Fortunately with an all aluminium system, we don't have to worry too much about actual rust (iron, FE).
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
1. High boost forced induction or a high shot of nitrous may require more cooling but our stock cooling is pretty good

2.Silicon is superior to rubber but in the end it doesn't really matter, my 05 is 9 years old (built in late 04) and the rubber hoses are fine with no cracks

3. The Mishimoto does offer additional cooling capacity and front end weight savings but again my 9 year old radiator doesn't have any rust on it. Regular coolant flushes every few years will help keep the level of rust prohibitors in the coolant system up. Fortunately with an all aluminium system, we don't have to worry too much about actual rust (iron, FE).
Hey, thank you for the reply, and info. I had to replace the radiator in my 05 V6 because it started leaking where the tank clamps to the end of the radiator. No issues on my 05 GT, but wanted to be proactive.

Again, thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Was the leak from the hose or the actual radiator nipple?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Was the leak from the hose or the actual radiator nipple?
Neither, actually. It was about 6" up the side from the nipple, with no hose nearby. It wasn't a big leak, and the replacement was only $110.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Do you guys use salt in the winter? Luckily, I have had any issues on my 05 GT and I haven't heard about an issue from my cousin with an 05 V6. Could have just been contaminated materials when manufactured that caused a weak spot.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Mishimoto
Former Sponsor

Hi Fader, one of the biggest benefits from our all-aluminum radiators is reliability. Aluminum radiators last much longer than plastic end tank rads, since the plastic end tanks can crack over time. Also, our radiators come with a lifetime warranty, so if you ever do have any issues, you're covered!