Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is it possible for the SLP Loudmouth Catback Exhaust to be installed in my 2005 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Default Is it possible for the SLP Loudmouth Catback Exhaust to be installed in my 2005 GT?

According to americanmuscle.com, the slp loudmouth catback exhaust system is only intended for 99-04 GT models. Here is the link to the catback:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slpexhaust.html

To first get this cleared up and blown out of the water, I am AWARE that this is for the previous generation. Also, after some research, I have come to discover that in 2005, the S197's exhaust changed a bit--this time allowing the owner to swap out the axleback exhaust without having to install a new catback(which I already knew about and I'm sure all of you do too)...something the 99-04 GT's couldn't allow you to do. And then it appears as if the mufflers on the 99-04's have a different location (located right between the mid-pipe and catback)--but ours have been relocated to what are now known as 'axlebacks'. To me, it's almost as if the catback to the mufflers have been flipped backwards between the generations. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyway, what I want to know, is if I can order this catback, and install it without any difficulties? If you read under 'Product Features', it includes the 'Loudmouth "shotgun" race resonators' or the SLP resonators. And from what I'm getting, based on my research, these essentially replace the 99-04's mufflers--or located in the same place. Not that I would, but from what I mentioned earlier about the whole "catback flipped backwards" between the generations, the slp resonators would theoretically take the place of our axlebacks--without cutting pipe--but that's obviously not where they go. It wouldn't produce the same sound, and plus it wouldn't look good.
By the way, you can buy these separatly from the same website here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-lo...esonators.html

Preferably, I'd really like to install these resonators--but I'm afraid I would have to cut some pipe...or I'm pretty sure? But it'd be awesome if I could do the entire catback without any problems...regardless of it only being intended for the last gen.

I hope all of this made sense and wasn't too confusing for any of you, especially since I am talking about the SN95's mustang's exhaust.

Before I end this thread, this might be helpful to those of you who aren't too familiar with the previous gen's exhaust set-up (from the mid-pipe):
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/***...pyp_sfm13b.jpg

...and just to directly compare, here is our exhaust set-up (from the mid-pipe):
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/***...-backthumb.jpg

Let me know what y'all think. Your feeback is greatly appreciated! =)

-'stangdude
Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Find the SLP's for the '05 thru '10 (assuming they're different than the ones for the previous model). Quite a few on the forum have them
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Just buy the SLP's for the 2005-2009's
Old 10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust kits for the 99-04 will not fit an 05-09. The angles and length of the over axle sections are completely different along with the mid pipe connection. You could use just the resonators but it would be a cut and weld affair. They could be located wherever you wanted, probably as far forward as possible would be preferred for 2V sound, but you would still need to get rid of your factory mufflers. That would involve more cutting and welding unless you used an 05-09 aftermarket axleback.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/axexlmo20mug.html

If you want a nice bolt on, 30 minute driveway installation meant for your car, follow the above link. Ive had these installed on my car since 2007, great product. Nice deep and rumbly idle and decel when downshifting or coasting, screams at WOT... I added a Bassani hi-flow catted X-pipe to mine, made it more raspy but sounds like a beast when you hit the gas.