Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 GT wont start at first start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM
lafortel

Default 2006 GT wont start at first start

HERE'S A GOOD ONE.
MY 2006 MUSTANG GT 4.6L WITH 37K MILES STARTED THIS 2 DAYS AGO. I GOT IN THE CAR TO GO TO WORK AND IT CRANKS FINE BUT WOULDN'T START. I HAD IT TOWED TO MY SON'S SHOP AND AS SOON AS IT CAME OFF THE TOW TRUCK IT STARTED AND RAN FINE ALL DAY. NO CODES NO NOTHING. I DROVE IT HOME THAT EVENING AND PARKED IT. THE NEXT MORNING I WENT TO START IT TO GO TO WORK AND IT CRANKS BUT NO START. I TOWED IT TO A FRIEND'S SHOP AND WHEN THEY ROLLED IT OFF THE TOW TRUCK IT STARTED RIGHT UP. I CHECKED FOR POWER AT THE FUEL PUMP IN THE MORNING AND GOT NOTHING. ALSO NO SPARK. BUT WHEN IT GOES FOR A RIDE ON THE TOW TRUCK, IT FIXES ITSELF. ANY IDEAS? MAYBE ITS A LATE SLEEPER AND DOESN'T LIKE TO WAKE UP EARLY IN THE MORNING? THE RED ALARM LIGHT FLASHES NORMAL BUT GOWS OUT WHEN CRANKING. I'M STUMPED
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Red alarm light? And explain HOW you checked power at the fuel pump.

The S197 is fraught with some strange electronic issues, most of which are related to a chronic water leak that corrodes some of the Smart Junction Box (SJB) contacts. However, your symptoms are not typical of the gremlins associated with the SJB/leak issue.

Have you checked electrical connections including grounding points? I almost suspect the jarring of the car coming off the tow truck is causing an intermittent connection reconnect.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 AM
lafortel

as far as the fuel pump. I used a test light while cranking to see if I was getting power to it and nothing. I reconnected it and removed the line coming out of the pump while cranking. And nothing. No fuel. This vehicle did at one time have a water issue. I am guessing as I did from the first day it happened that it has something to do with the factory alarm. It must be shutting down the car and as you say when the tow truck bounced it around, it must may contact and after that restarts all day... Today I will check all the SJB connections for corrosion
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
lafortel

I CHECKED THE SJB BOX AND DID FIND CORROSION INTERNALLY. WAS EXCITED TO FIND THIS AND THOUGHT I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I REPLACED THE SJB AND GUESS WHAT. CAR RAN FINE ALL DAY AS USUAL. LEFT IT OVERNIGHT AND WENT TO SLEEP. IN THE MORNING I TRIED TO START IT AGAIN AND NO START! GOING NUTS HERE. PREVIOUSLY I HAD IT TOWED TO A FRIENDS SHOP AND HE DID GET GET A NO REFERENCE TO THE INJECTORS AND NO FUEL PUMP REFERENCE. THEN THE CAR STARTED AND NO CODES WERE PRESENT. BY THE WAY THIS WAS A FLOOD CAR SO WATER DMAGE CAN BE AN ISSUE. BUT WHERE!