Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot Rod Cams / Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Even9301

Default Hot Rod Cams / Tune

I just ordered a set of Ford Racing Hot Rod cams and an updated Bama tune from American Muscle for my 2010 gt. I'm planning on having my local Ford dealership install them for me.

I'm a little worried about installing my new tune because it says in the instructions when updating the SCT device to return the vehicle to stock first before loading the new tunes on the device. I don't know if I could drive my car to the dealership on the stock tune. My current tune includes an Airaid cai and Roush catback exhaust.

Could I run my current tune with the cams until I get home and then install my updated tune? I really don't want to mess something up with my engine!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 PM
JimC

I've swapped tunes many times without going back to stock. It is suggested as a fail safe in case something happens when you download your new tune to the hand held.

But to be safe, put your car back to stock. Go inside and download the tune on your handheld. Then go outside and put your tune back on the car if you want to. When the cams are in, upload the new tune for the cams to the car and done.

I also use the option to download a copy of the stock tune to my SCT file on my computer.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Even9301

Originally Posted by JimC
I've swapped tunes many times without going back to stock. It is suggested as a fail safe in case something happens when you download your new tune to the hand held.

But to be safe, put your car back to stock. Go inside and download the tune on your handheld. Then go outside and put your tune back on the car if you want to. When the cams are in, upload the new tune for the cams to the car and done.

I also use the option to download a copy of the stock tune to my SCT file on my computer.
I am definetely going to download my stock tune for safe keeping.

I feel like I have two options. One would be to keep my current tune and have the dealership install the cams, then put my car back to stock, upload the new tunes to the SCT, then put the new tune on my car. The other being put my car to stock, have the dealer install the cams then upload the new tune.

The dealer is about 30 miles away from me, I just don't know if it's safe to drive that far on a tune that shouldn't be on my car until the new cams are in.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Even9301
I am definetely going to download my stock tune for safe keeping.

I feel like I have two options. One would be to keep my current tune and have the dealership install the cams, then put my car back to stock, upload the new tunes to the SCT, then put the new tune on my car. The other being put my car to stock, have the dealer install the cams then upload the new tune.

The dealer is about 30 miles away from me, I just don't know if it's safe to drive that far on a tune that shouldn't be on my car until the new cams are in.
Even9301,

The FRPP Hot Rod cams are a sweet upgrade for the 3v GT's. I definitely think you're going to enjoy the extra power, but even more so the aggressive idle!

If I were you, I'd drive the car to the dealership with your current tune. Once you arrive at the dealership, flash the car back to stock, then flash the ECM again to the new Hot Rod Cam tune. Even though the new cams aren't installed, the car will run well enough and plenty safe to allow the techs to move it from the parking lot to the garage. Once they're finished with the install, everything will be set!

You could also leave the tuner and have the techs flash the ECM in the proper order. As long as you give them specific instructions, this should be no problem either. Considering flashing a tune is much more difficult then installing camshafts haha. I would image they can easily handle it.

You'll have to let us know what you think about the camshafts once the install in completed!

Shane
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Even9301

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Even9301,

The FRPP Hot Rod cams are a sweet upgrade for the 3v GT's. I definitely think you're going to enjoy the extra power, but even more so the aggressive idle!

If I were you, I'd drive the car to the dealership with your current tune. Once you arrive at the dealership, flash the car back to stock, then flash the ECM again to the new Hot Rod Cam tune. Even though the new cams aren't installed, the car will run well enough and plenty safe to allow the techs to move it from the parking lot to the garage. Once they're finished with the install, everything will be set!

You could also leave the tuner and have the techs flash the ECM in the proper order. As long as you give them specific instructions, this should be no problem either. Considering flashing a tune is much more difficult then installing camshafts haha. I would image they can easily handle it.

You'll have to let us know what you think about the camshafts once the install in completed!

Shane
Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I think after I get them installed. I might do a Youtube comparison as well.

You way does make sense. The only thing I would have to do would be bring my computer with to the dealer to upload the new tunes to the SCT device. Because I have to return the car to stock first before uploading the new tunes to the device correct?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM
JimC

Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I think after I get them installed. I might do a Youtube comparison as well.

You way does make sense. The only thing I would have to do would be bring my computer with to the dealer to upload the new tunes to the SCT device. Because I have to return the car to stock first before uploading the new tunes to the device correct?
You can upload the new cam tune to your SCT before you leave home - then it is just a matter of selecting the cam tune at the dealership before the car leaves. No need to bring your laptop with you; just load the tune ahead of time on to the handheld.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:52 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

You are "supposed" to return the car to stock before you load your new tunes to the handheld, same as when trying to update the firmware (which never works for me).
Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Poppacapp
2nd Gear Member

The SCT tuner will hold 4 tunes total I believe... your stock tune + 3 aftermarket tunes. You can put the cam tune on the SCT and still have your stock and current tune on there. You just select which one you want to load.

Not sure about the returning to stock thing though.. maybe different for the 3v ECU's. When I added my jlt127 intake and 72lb injectors to my GT500, all I did was load the new tune for those items. I didn't take mine back to stock. I would be sure on your end and do what the instruction suggest though.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Even9301

I think I am going to play it safe and follow the instructions and go back to stock first. I think I will also go with Shane's advice and load the new tune with the cams when I drop it off. That way it will run ok for the mechanics to move it around. Anyway the appointment is set for Jan 2nd. I hope I will like the way it sounds! Thanks for the help so far.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I think I am going to play it safe and follow the instructions and go back to stock first. I think I will also go with Shane's advice and load the new tune with the cams when I drop it off. That way it will run ok for the mechanics to move it around. Anyway the appointment is set for Jan 2nd. I hope I will like the way it sounds! Thanks for the help so far.
Although, I don't think you'll have a problem going from one tune to another. Whichever works best for you. Never hurts to play it safe!

Keep me updated with how things worked out at the dealer and of course the grand finale.

Shane

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cams / Tune