Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Happy broken plug new year to me!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 PM
edman49

Default Happy broken plug new year to me!

On new year's eve, I cracked all eight of the plugs on my '06 gt a 1/16 turn. It took a huge amount of force just to do that much. I squirted in deep creep, and waited until this afternoon, Jan.01,2014! The very first plug turned out broken! The deep creep hardly even moved after nearly a full day! At least two other plugs are broken too, as they feel like the first one. I just shut the hood and forgot about it, as today is a holiday! I feel betrayed by Ford! I want an official to fly out, and remove all my plugs himself! Now I will have to drive another car to work, and I have not even bought the Lisle tool, because I studied the net and You-tube for a week loading myself with info, enough to make me think I would not break a single plug! Yesterday, when I used the torque wrench to "crack" loose the plugs, it went to 50 just to get that far! That probably broke some right there! I left out twenty curse words to shorten this post! Now I have to load myself with info about "broken" plugs, which was not on my to-do list! Happy New Year! edman49-out
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
edman49

OK, four plugs cam out clean. Two broke off just right for the Lisle tool, they are now out. The seventh broke just right, but with the elctrode sticking out an inch. What do I do about that? The eighth one had the hex body come up fine, but the porcelain is not broken, so it just spins on the body. What do I do about that? My needle nose pliers won't reach either, so I have a tools to buy, any advice? Tell me what you did so I can get my four day parked car back on the road! thanks, edman49
Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
edman49

Extra notes: the plugs that broke most likely did it during the 1/16 loosening. I did soak the plugs prior to that, and drove on Techron for at least twenty miles prior to that loosening. Also, a Ford official really should fly out to my house and finish this job for me! I was born 64 years ago, and this kind of stuff really should not be happening during my golden years! edma49
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

If I understand you - the seventh plug shield is still in the head and a 1" piece of porcelain is sticking up above the shield so you can't use the Lisle tool? If so, you may need to try to break the porcelain off (be careful with the spark plug threads in the head) as far down as possible, then use the Lisle tool to push the porcelain down far enough to allow you the use the tool as designed to thread it into the shield and pull it out. You'll need to do your best to get any bit of the porcelain out of the cylinder as best you can.

On the eighth plug I'm guessing the only thing left in the head is the shield and it's spinning so you can't thread the Lisle tool in? My thought would be to get a piece of hard steel wire that you could put a hook on the end to try to push it down past the ground electrode on the shield and see if you can hook the electrode and pull it up and out or up far enough to wedge it in the head to allow you to thread the tool into it and pull it out.

If I misunderstood, sorry... just trying to help.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Would you believe there are still those that say these 2 piece crap plugs are not a problem? I cannot believe there has not been a class action suit over this better idea from FOMOCO. I have been accused of stirring up trouble over this issue. Ford should bleed over this.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edman49
OK, four plugs cam out clean. Two broke off just right for the Lisle tool, they are now out. The seventh broke just right, but with the elctrode sticking out an inch. What do I do about that? The eighth one had the hex body come up fine, but the porcelain is not broken, so it just spins on the body. What do I do about that? My needle nose pliers won't reach either, so I have a tools to buy, any advice? Tell me what you did so I can get my four day parked car back on the road! thanks, edman49
i just did mine and i had one breal like your 8th one. I used needle nose pliers to grip the plug and just pull it out. The porcelain part will come out and you can then use the lisle tool.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM
edman49

All done this past weekend! I bought three different extra long needle nose pliers, about 12"long, at HF, about $4 each on sale. I used the straight one to pull the center electrode (?) out of the tip, the tool then worked as instructed.For the last one, I used the 30deg ones by grabing the plug end and a good tug.These pliers are overly cheap, and pretty well made. The new plugs are the three piece factory jobs, but with nickel anti seize on the bullets.I spent the last 15,000 miles wanting to do this, but had the nerve only recently. With four broken, I think I fall into the national average? Is there a poll? If I ever stumble on a supercharger deal I cannot refuse, I know it won't be as hard the next time! Otherwise, I have at least another 80k miles to go!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Is this an issue carried over to the 5.0 Coyote engine too? So far all of the problems I've seen mentioned were with the 4.6L 3 valve engines?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
Is this an issue carried over to the 5.0 Coyote engine too? So far all of the problems I've seen mentioned were with the 4.6L 3 valve engines?
The problem is only with the 4.6 in the mustang. Even with this, ford changed the design some in 2008? that made it a less serious problem.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
The problem is only with the 4.6 in the mustang. Even with this, ford changed the design some in 2008? that made it a less serious problem.
Good to know, thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy broken plug new year to me!