Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Mustang gt bullitt 2008 manual transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 AM
alam

Default Mustang gt bullitt 2008 manual transmission issue

Hello everyone,

I own a 2008 bullitt which i bought recently. I noticed one issue in the transmission and would like to know if its normal or not. All the shifts are smooth except when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, there is no grinding at all but sometimes I feel that there is something blocking the shifter from entering the 2nd gear gate ,more like a notchy shift.I have sometimes to push it in harder to get it in gear and I might hear a small clunk but no grinding at all .The clutch is at perfect condition and engages 4 inches approx. from ground. Car has almost 42k miles on it.

Waiting for your replies .

Thanks,

Alam

Last edited by alam; 03-03-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Our manuals are known to develop synchro issues. In some cases, if the previous owner was terrible at shifting, a fluid change will help but it's likely synchro related. Just take it easy and double clutch when shifting from3rd to 2nd. Also, what rpm are you trying to down shift at? If the mismatch is too great, either blip the throttle on downshift or stop trying to reduce the engine speed that much.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
alam

Originally Posted by JCON
Our manuals are known to develop synchro issues. In some cases, if the previous owner was terrible at shifting, a fluid change will help but it's likely synchro related. Just take it easy and double clutch when shifting from3rd to 2nd. Also, what rpm are you trying to down shift at? If the mismatch is too great, either blip the throttle on downshift or stop trying to reduce the engine speed that much.
Hey JCON, thanx for ur reply. Well I only downshift to 2nd whenever Im entering a roundabout or taking a turn and normally I downshift at a low speed , also I do revmatch when downshifting.Im gonna check the oil 2mrw.As for the synchro ,according to what Ive read recently, the issue is synchro related if there is grinding right? In my case , as I mentioned no grinding at all.Could it be the shifter ? Thanx again.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The other thing to consider, and I never had this happen when downshift, only shifting up, is that the engine is still torquing and due to our remote mounted shifters, this can cause the shifter and gates to become misaligned. My issue was that shifting from 2nd to 3rd under heavy load, felt as though something was blocking it from going in to gear. To test this try shifting slower when you downshift. It's possible your rev matching too quickly or too high. To solve my issue, I installed ProThane solid Bullet motor mounts and a Carriage House Engineering A-Arm brace with torque limiters. I went from missing the power shift 2nd to 3rd once a day to once a every few months. Those two items had negligible increase in N/V/H and the car felt stiffer as well as the engine not moving as much under quick and heavy loads.

solve this,
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 AM
alam

Originally Posted by JCON
The other thing to consider, and I never had this happen when downshift, only shifting up, is that the engine is still torquing and due to our remote mounted shifters, this can cause the shifter and gates to become misaligned. My issue was that shifting from 2nd to 3rd under heavy load, felt as though something was blocking it from going in to gear. To test this try shifting slower when you downshift. It's possible your rev matching too quickly or too high. To solve my issue, I installed ProThane solid Bullet motor mounts and a Carriage House Engineering A-Arm brace with torque limiters. I went from missing the power shift 2nd to 3rd once a day to once a every few months. Those two items had negligible increase in N/V/H and the car felt stiffer as well as the engine not moving as much under quick and heavy loads.

solve this,
thanx alot for your help.well, I checked everything and thankfully everything looks clean.Ive been told that an aftermarket shifter will help.it seems that such things are normal and ill live with them atleast till I get another shifter and might consider those torque limiters as well since I dont do a lot of power shifting and never faced an issue with 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration. .thanx again.
Alam

Last edited by alam; 03-05-2014 at 05:10 AM.