Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help with Whipple repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Help with Whipple repair

Ok folks, despite Danzcools awesome efforts to protect the supercharger (and thats not sarcastic, the thing was wrapped in 4" of bubble wrap and in a 9cu ft box full of peanuts) part of the s/c is broken.

If you look at the attached photo, the bottom two parts of the intake 'assy' bent and came off, leaving the screw in portions in the s/c.

What I am looking for is A) what are those parts specifically (measurements if you got em, the manual doesnt show me)
B) can the remaining parts of the screw be backed out easily and with what tool
C) Can I replace them with any run of the mill auto part from advance/autozone etc (proper size, depth etc) or
D) do I have to contact Whipple, and if so, anyone know what the part #s might be? (or where to buy that entire intake bend?)

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

They look like simple hose barbs for a water line to me. Does that seem correct? A bit hard to tell by looking at the picture. If that's the case, you can get replacements lots of places, really as long as the threads are the same, the barb should be as well. Worst case scenario, you might have to use hose clamps instead of a spring flame, but no biggie.
As for removal, I'd probably go with an EZ out. Shouldn't be a problem since you have access. You can always take it to a machine shop if you have issues.

Last edited by CPTCO; 03-20-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

CPTCO has a point, just looked at HF for a quick check and this set looks to be the ticket...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...l#.Uyu5VYXB98E

On another note, if the costs start looking to go beyond a casual fix price for the damage we could file a claim with the shipper since it was insured.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
6bangr
1st Gear Member

EVAP Hose: 3/8 OD Quick Connect Fitting (or barb)
PCV Hose: 5/8 OD Quick Connect Fitting (or barb)
Brake Booster Hose: 3/8 Barb

Sorry don’t have the thread counts on the fittings, but you can probably figure that out once you get the fittings out. I don’t think the “OD Quick Connect Fittings” are totally necessary. Hose barbs from your local hardware store could probably suffice. I used barbs and hose clamps to install a catch can on the PCV hose without any issues or leaks. Just use some good oil rated hose. Whatever you do, don’t forgot the pipe thread sealant.
I just hope the pipe ports on the compressor haven’t been damaged.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Thanks. Whipple actually got back to me, it's only like $30 for all the parts, plus a couple other things I'm getting from them, like the whipple oil etc. Thanks folks!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Not many companies as easy to work with as Whipple. The guys over there are top notch. As for getting the broken pieces out, a proper sized EZout from Home Depot will make short work of them.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

So after 2 autozones, an advanced auto, Sears, Home Depot AND Lowes, I finally found a set of ez-outs (autocraft brand) from my last ditch advanced I stopped at... Best thing is, it worked! Now just waiting on an email and an order via whipple for the little parts I need and should be installing on a long weekend in early may!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Danny, you should have unscrewed those before shipping!