Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aluminum flywheel, one piece driveshaft review?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Aluminum flywheel, one piece driveshaft review?

How much of a difference do you feel and how much does it change the characteristics of the driving experience?

3.73 or 4.10 gears, manual trans.

2008 Bullitt I am looking at has 3.73's, might drive that around until 4.10's. I think it already comes with a short throw shifter.

Any other mods that would help improve throttle response and driving feel would also be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

An aluminum drive shaft is a major mod that will free up power. Going with any lightweight parts on the drive train like a aluminum flywheel and driveshaft reduce rotation mass which improved your acceleration, throttle response, and actually helps put more power to the ground and less parasitic loss.

I currently daily drive 4.10's on my 05 GT 50/50 city/highway and love them. Wouldn't trade them as long as I was NA. 4.10's are probably a bit much for a supercharged car.

A tune is the biggest thing to improve drivability and throttle response. I have a ported and polished stock throttlebody that seemed to improve throttle response slightly. Under drive pulleys will also increase response.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

DSS driveshaft was a huge improvement for me. Feels like the cars gas pedal is directly connected to the rear wheels. The gas pedal mod is another way to improve throttle repsonse. Its not talked about much anymore but what a difference it makes.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:34 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I have an exedy LW Steel flywheel coupled with an exedy mach 500 clutch, and a DSS alum driveshaft. The butt dyno feels it, and the car seems to respond much better, the driveline thunk from the 2-piece is gone (but there is still some in the gears, though I'm starting to wonder if its actually my motor mounts the motor is thunking on... It's a well worth it investment
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
DSS driveshaft was a huge improvement for me. Feels like the cars gas pedal is directly connected to the rear wheels. The gas pedal mod is another way to improve throttle repsonse. Its not talked about much anymore but what a difference it makes.
is that gas pedal mod that weird mod where you open up the gas pedal and mess with the wiring, so it gets "instant throttle"? I always been tempted to do that but living in Alaska and winter driving, it does not sound like a good combo lol

Originally Posted by JCON
An aluminum drive shaft is a major mod that will free up power. Going with any lightweight parts on the drive train like a aluminum flywheel and driveshaft reduce rotation mass which improved your acceleration, throttle response, and actually helps put more power to the ground and less parasitic loss.
Ditto.. I am trying to get as much power to the ground and make the car feel as light and responsive, nimble as possible. I am easy to please, as I have owned much more powerful cars than a NA bolt on 3v and I am much more interested in driving pleasure, the thrill of a rumbly exhaust and cruising to beats.

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I have an exedy LW Steel flywheel coupled with an exedy mach 500 clutch, and a DSS alum driveshaft. The butt dyno feels it, and the car seems to respond much better, the driveline thunk from the 2-piece is gone (but there is still some in the gears, though I'm starting to wonder if its actually my motor mounts the motor is thunking on... It's a well worth it investment
How heavy is the clutch with that 500? does that flywheel get the revs up much quicker than other brands?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
S stang
1st Gear Member

What is a gas pedal mod. .
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
is that gas pedal mod that weird mod where you open up the gas pedal and mess with the wiring, so it gets "instant throttle"? I always been tempted to do that but living in Alaska and winter driving, it does not sound like a good combo lol
Yes it is: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html

You don't necessarily need to do that though.
I tried a simple trick first that worked for me and still does...
I put a piece of very thin sheet metal (from a Toyota fender, lol) secured by double sided tape between the pedal and its housing.
Basically, it works as a spacer so it eliminates the free play of the fly by wire system.
It's like the pedal is always depressed but not enough to affect the idling.
Try that first and if it doesn't work, then you'll have to decide if you want to open everything up like the OP did in that linked thread...

Edit: lol Stealth, you're too fast for me!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol forum search button pro

For me personally, I never tried the gas pedal trick because of safety issues. I don't really need an overly sensitive gas pedal and messing with it only sounds like a bad idea.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Yes it is: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html

You don't necessarily need to do that though.
I tried a simple trick first that worked for me and still does...
I put a piece of very thin sheet metal (from a Toyota fender, lol) secured by double sided tape between the pedal and its housing.
Basically, it works as a spacer so it eliminates the free play of the fly by wire system.
It's like the pedal is always depressed but not enough to affect the idling.
Try that first and if it doesn't work, then you'll have to decide if you want to open everything up like the OP did in that linked thread...

Edit: lol Stealth, you're too fast for me!
Pascal I went the full Monte and JB Welded a thin washer LOL, way back when I got the GT and did the same to my Snake...it is amazing how far the throttle moved before the idle was affected! I agree it works great!

Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheel, one piece driveshaft review?