Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
rebel_logan

Default exhaust help

right now i have a 05 gt automatic with bbk shorty headers, stock h pipe, and magnaflow mufflers. the tone sounds decent when im on it but its not loud enough when cruising at the same speed or when idleing. i used to have a 07 gt that i bought with exhaust set up already on it all i know it had was flowmasters and stock headers but it sounded amazing and exactly how i want this car to sound. im thinking about leaving the bbk shorty headers and stock h pipe and adding flow master 44s. will this get me a louder exhaust at idle, cruising and when im on it without the car sounding like its gonna blow up or back fire? im not to big on some of the raspier sounding exhausts i just like a good clean loud tone. a deep rumble.
thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

If you're looking for a deep rumble you want to stick to an H Pipe if you're going to touch the midpiping. X Pipes generally bring a raspier tone to the exhaust. I'd suggest going on YouTube and see what other people have setup on their cars.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

I have an off road H-Pipe and is the only after market exhaust part I currently have on my 08 GT. I LOVE IT! Really good idle and cruise tone. Sure with headers and exhaust it would be even better...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

An off road mid pipe will make your car loud.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM
rebel_logan

whats a good offroad h pipe that sounds good with flowmaster 44s and is under $300? i can only fine pace setter and pypes around that price are they any good?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Pypes has one for about $250. That's the one I have and I remember my mechanic said it was the best fitting h-pipe he's seen. Said it was a flawless fit. So, I'm guessing most people won't have trouble doing it themselves - but only cost about $80 to have a mechanic do it.

However, this OR pipe will remove your cats - so the CEL does come on. I've tried the CEL eliminators twice and both times didn't work. Other than that - lovin it.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
rebel_logan

Won't my sct x3 clear that code? I don't want cats either way but I thought it could clear the code by retuneing for that set up?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rebel_logan
Won't my sct x3 clear that code? I don't want cats either way but I thought it could clear the code by retuneing for that set up?
it should - at least that's what everyone says. So, I'm on to that project next along with a c/a intake. Haven't decided on which tuner yet...

Last edited by azdevil1; 05-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I've heard a lot that the flow masters have the worst drone of all! It doesn't bother everyone however, I don't mind a little myself just not too much. I saw a video on YouTube with all the different borla mufflers sound test at idle and driving away, you might find something you like there to get a good perspective.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayemxBdI0bc

This is for the the 5.0 coyote but a good idea, hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

For the custom tunes sometimes the rear O2 sensors are turned off,, if they aren't, the tune can be altered.

Secondly you can always have a few O2 connections welded in. to keep the sensors up and out of the way. I don't get a CEL on my car, but my rear O2s are off.

Quick Reply: exhaust help