Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Heads and Cams? FRPP,Comp?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Which Heads and Cams? FRPP,Comp?

Hey Guys,

I recently installed my front suspension parts. My previous best time was 12.93. New best is 12.85. Skinnies/Slicks/Stripped

I'm looking to shoot for the low 12's, N/A. The only parts right now i can consider are an intake manifold, cams and heads. The performance is a priority, the sound is not. However i do want to keep it streetable.

So far i've been suggested to take the Comp Stage 2 NSR 127200 cams and the FRPP intake manifold.

Which head/cam combination would you recommend? And whats the horsepower estimate on it?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to do heads...why would you want to go with NSR cams?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

As i mentioned, this was recommended to me. It is not a specific requirement by me.

The people that recommended the 127200 cams mentioned that these NSR cams deliver almost the same amount of hp compared to the SPR cams.

That's also the reason for this post, if not the NSR cams, which specific cam would you suggest and why? (keeping in mind performance > sound and maintaining decent drivability)

Originally Posted by ghunt
If you're going to do heads...why would you want to go with NSR cams?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if I could make any recommendations myself...but I would say you might look at other brands besides Comp (like Lunati for example). I assume you're looking for an RPM range to work with the FRPP intake (i.e. high rpm).

I just know if I was doing heads, I would want cams with increased lift. Might as well when everything's apart and the springs are easy to do.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I run the 127200 cams with heads ported and polished by Total Engine Airflow. I would save the heads until you are ready to build the engine, but the cam is a good choice. They make good power up high without the lopey idle and maintain the VCT for daily driving. Combined with the intake manifold you will open up the top end at the track without sacrificing too much low end drive-ability.

Perhaps it's because my heads were p&p'd out to a stage 3 equivalent from Livernoise or FRPP, but I lost a lot of torque down low and it made the car a bit of a challenge to drive around town [this was prior to the twin turbo upgrade]. You've already opened your exhaust quite a bit, so low end torque is really going to suffer if you put in some big heads without force-feeding them. The factory 3V heads will flow just fine for anything you can throw at them N/A on the stock internals.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:30 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
The factory 3V heads will flow just fine for anything you can throw at them N/A on the stock internals.

This. Until you start pushing real big power, heads are the last thing I would upgrade. Any particular reason you're wanting to stay N/A? Heads and the Ford intake will buy you 1/2 a SC, and you'll be big power ahead going FI, with stock driveability.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

We have a somewhat odd categorization at our dragstrip here, because of the few V8 cars that compete. My class is defined to: 2.5liter cars with an oem turbo, or 3.7liter - 6.2liter N/A cars ( also everything less than that can also enter this class, n/a honda's etc). Most of the cars in my class run in the 12's, lots of JDM 1JZ's. If i add a power adder i end op in the "open class" which has cars like the '13 cobra jet etc. So i want to stay in my current class. I run a 100shot of nitrous when i just go to play.

I don't think i'll end up building the engine. If i ever do decide to go F/I it will probably just be ordering a built shortblock from brenspeed.

I'm not sure just an intake manifold & the 127200's will put me in the low 12's...
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

For your NA car, I would look into the following:

Cams-Not sure what to get but I would speak with a few people who have done NA builds and go from there. Get a pair that require springs that will allow you to spin that motor until power starts to fade.

Intake- FRPP probably.

Shortest gear you can get into your car.

Tuning on some type of higher octane fuel.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Yes, i'm already running 3.73 gears. And have access to VP racing 120 unleaded fuel.

I've been a customer of brenspeed, lethal and americanmuscle. However they seem to be partial to F/I beyond the usual bolt-ons or direct me to the typical solutions (which i dont mind if its the best way) like just getting everything from FRPP or Comp.

I'd just like to get some input from a person on here who has been through this route or atleast that knows of a shop or person that can help me out. (since i will also be needing a remote tuning session)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

By the way, do i still need CMDP's when i get an Intake manifold???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Heads and Cams? FRPP,Comp?