Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Had 4:10 now 3:73 still same problem

Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 AM
GurthBrooks

Default Had 4:10 now 3:73 still same problem

Hello, I own a 2001 GT with a automatic. 2yrs ago I had 4:10's put in to the car along with all new bearings, seals, rebuilt the limited slip, new drive shaft and u joints, 6months later the car had a bad vibration and loud noise just like you drove over rumble strips on the freeway you could feel it in the seat while driving. This occurs anytime while driving, does not stop when put in neutral. One shop told me it was because the gears where not shimmed correctly. Solution put a new set of gears in with all new bearings and seals. Again still the same problem. Changed rear tires still same. With something so loud with this much vibration is it possible its not the rear end Taking car back into yet another shop to have them look at it. Sorry so long!!! thanks for any help.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Maybe your driveshaft is unbalanced?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

So it's any time the car is moving? I'd second the driveshaft balance as a possibility.

Any clunks when putting it in gear?

-Steve
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I will third on the driveshaft.. Does it only happen at certain speeds, or all speeds?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 PM
GurthBrooks

Sorry forgot to mention the drive shaft is also new with new U joints
Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If the rear end was the only thing work on prior to the problem, that's where I would look.

However, six months after install the problems start, it really could be anything.

I would get it on a lift and put in gear to let someone listen and locate where the noise comes from.

Drive shafts can loose weights also. You could look at the drive shaft and see.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Has anyone checked your tire balance?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Not likely the rear end. Your symptoms are usually the result of a unbalanced tire or driveshaft. Could also be due to pinion angle.
If you have a 4r70 as your automatic, it could also be the brass bushing in the tailshaft housing where the driveshaft slips into, being worn out.

But if it is that bad, you should be able to raise the rear of the car, put jackstands under the axle to hold it up (safely of course), but it in neutral, and turn the driveshaft by hand, feeling for clunking or binding. Usually if it is that bad of something, you'll feel it.

If it is only at certain speeds, it'd be more of a balancing issue.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 AM
GurthBrooks

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I was told that the reason for the vibration and sound is from installing (Ford Racing gears) two separate shops told me this. I was told they are known to be very noisy and have a vibration. Both sets that I have used were Ford Racing 4:10 and now 3:73. Im having a hard time believing that Ford Racing gears could be the reason. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I have heard of that happening when the gears are installed incorrectly by idiots! I have driven a few S197's with both gears and never felt or heard anything unusual...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had 4:10 now 3:73 still same problem