Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0L Stroker Assembly Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I disagree with Simon1 on methanol injection, especially for our hot part of the country. I use it for additional cooling more than the octane, to keep intake air temps cooler, timing higher, and power higher.
With 93 octane, I'm "pushing it" as it is on 18-19 psi, and methanol injection helps keep things a little safer for me.

I do not yet have access to E85 either, but there are some places getting close enough where I may be able to get some and use it, and then not need to worry about it.
GMoran, if you intend to run higher boost (over 16 psi), you'll need some way to keep things together and safe.

FYI, I'm using stock '09 heads, with custom cams and different springs; I'm sure I could pick up some nice power if they were ported/polished!
You run the meth on both of your cars?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
You run the meth on both of your cars?
No, I only use methanol on my KB setup on the blue car at this time.
The IATs with the KB can get high (over 175*), so I use methanol more for cooling the air charge when it gets too hot; I inject under the blower using a special adapter plate.

A 'safe'-tune dyno from last year, with various adjustments, and 93 octane, through an automatic trans:
Name:  05MustangDyno_Oct2013.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
Would you post some details of your setup and HP/TQ #'s? I'd love to look over that info just to see what kinda power it makes and what the curve looks like. Trying to determine the benefits/cons of stroking vs keep it stock and boosting.
I can tell you stroking it just adds torque essentially... I have an all-motor Livernois stroker short block that is 9:7:1, I only picked up maybe 20rwtq or so with the stroker. My tuner told me what seems like a good formula is the amount of cubic inches added with a stroker is the amount of torque added.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I can tell you stroking it just adds torque essentially... I have an all-motor Livernois stroker short block that is 9:7:1, I only picked up maybe 20rwtq or so with the stroker. My tuner told me what seems like a good formula is the amount of cubic inches added with a stroker is the amount of torque added.
So you didn't lose any bottom end power or tq but just gained on the high end? Is the curve relatively the same as the stock power curve?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
No, I only use methanol on my KB setup on the blue car at this time.
The IATs with the KB can get high (over 175*), so I use methanol more for cooling the air charge when it gets too hot; I inject under the blower using a special adapter plate.

A 'safe'-tune dyno from last year, with various adjustments, and 93 octane, through an automatic trans:
My A/F is slightly richer at 11.8 and my TQ is about 540 from 2500-6000 @ 15 PSI. My IAT's don't get to 175 unless I am really working the motor. On the dyno it didn't get that high. I have a huge (10 gallon) tank for the heat exchanger and it seems to keep the IAT's down. At the track I use ice and 104 oct and my IATs are around ambient. With that combo and a race tune the TQ and HP are at 560 and super flat. HP hits peak at 6800 but is holding flat from about 550 and higher.

I have an 8 rib kit sitting in the garage and when I switch it, I'll get a smaller pulley and retune and see if I get hit the 600rwhp mark. Glad the METH is working for you.

My only regret with going with the kit I got was I wish I had gotten the H blower instead of the regular.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's my graph.

Oh crap...That's when I had a turbo. I'll keep searching.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

..this thread has turned into a great discussion!..
Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

So what about a stock stroke 4.6 w/ a KB? How does that curve stand up to the stroker motor? Does it peak earlier and maintain or is it relatively the same curve just less HP?

The reason I ask is because I wouldn't mind an early peak in HP for slightly less top end necessarily. I enjoy corner carving more than I do flatout gear slamming.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
So what about a stock stroke 4.6 w/ a KB? How does that curve stand up to the stroker motor? Does it peak earlier and maintain or is it relatively the same curve just less HP?

The reason I ask is because I wouldn't mind an early peak in HP for slightly less top end necessarily. I enjoy corner carving more than I do flatout gear slamming.
That's what I have. I don't think the curve is really any different. Same shape, but that's just from what I have heard. If your cams are not locked out and you do custom tuning, the tuner can bend the curve around to get the torque to peak earlier. He does this a combination of fuel, timing, cam timing curves. It's how my tunes are set up. More low end torque.

From what I have read about the stroker motors, you end up with about one HP per CI of displacement. I thinks that's pretty generic and there could be more gains. I was also under the impression stock stroke motors last longer and have less wear/tear do to a different angle on the connecting rods going up and down. But, who really knows...

If I were to do it all over again I would have gotten an aluminum block and pushed it to 300ci.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
That's what I have. I don't think the curve is really any different. Same shape, but that's just from what I have heard. If your cams are not locked out and you do custom tuning, the tuner can bend the curve around to get the torque to peak earlier. He does this a combination of fuel, timing, cam timing curves. It's how my tunes are set up. More low end torque.

From what I have read about the stroker motors, you end up with about one HP per CI of displacement. I thinks that's pretty generic and there could be more gains. I was also under the impression stock stroke motors last longer and have less wear/tear do to a different angle on the connecting rods going up and down. But, who really knows...

If I were to do it all over again I would have gotten an aluminum block and pushed it to 300ci.
You don't have an aluminum block? Aren't all 05+ GT's aluminum blocks?

Quick Reply: 5.0L Stroker Assembly Question