Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
xHazard

Question Throttle sensitivity

I have a 2006 mustang gt (not original owner) with a few mods such as a Bama race tune, K&N Cold air intake, and a BBK 62mm throttle body. I've noticed that I have still not gotten used to the throttle sensitive, would reversing to a street tune help? It currently has a race tune. and are there any precautions i should know about before reverting back to a street tune?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Definetly flash back to stock before reverting to the street tune! I reflashed my ECM, without returning it to stock and all sorts of codes were being thrown. When I flashed stock, then reflashed to street, race, whatever, no issues at all. The process takes a bit longer but well worth it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by xHazard
I have a 2006 mustang gt (not original owner) with a few mods such as a Bama race tune, K&N Cold air intake, and a BBK 62mm throttle body. I've noticed that I have still not gotten used to the throttle sensitive, would reversing to a street tune help? It currently has a race tune. and are there any precautions i should know about before reverting back to a street tune?
Yes, the race tune has a very touch throttle response. I didn't like it so I never use it. I use the performance tune.

Go with either a street tune or performance tune. Street tune is pretty mild though. Performance tune is a happy median.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

No issues.
Just make sure the octane in your tank is currently equivalent or higher that what's required for the street tune.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
xHazard

Originally Posted by jimkr
Definetly flash back to stock before reverting to the street tune! I reflashed my ECM, without returning it to stock and all sorts of codes were being thrown. When I flashed stock, then reflashed to street, race, whatever, no issues at all. The process takes a bit longer but well worth it.
I just went straight to the street tune, what problems occured so if anything goes wrong, i know what to look for?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM
xHazard

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
No issues.
Just make sure the octane in your tank is currently equivalent or higher that what's required for the street tune.
so the race tune i had was 93 I believe and the street tune I switched to is 87 so im good right? (just want to be 100% sure)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

so the race tune i had was 93 I believe and the street tune I switched to is 87 so im good right? (just want to be 100% sure)
Yes, you will be fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I just went straight to the street tune, what problems occured so if anything goes wrong, i know what to look for?
I never experienced any issues going directly from one custom tune (89) to another custom tune (93).
Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

The car ran fine, no problems there, and it never threw a CEL But when I checked to make sure all of the monitors ran with no problem, I had a load of stored codes, such as "com link failure, software mismatch, throttle actuator control system-forced engine shutdown (engine never shut sown though) internal module software incompatibility." There were more, but I couldn't do a full screen capture there were so many. Oddly enough the car ran fine, but obviously something was VERY wrong, and this happened more than once before I got into the habit of doing it correctly. I've read about too many people blowing up their PCM/ECM while flashing. You need to be certain to follow the manufacturers recommendations! Be safe, not in a hurry!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I never experienced any issues going directly from one custom tune (89) to another custom tune (93).

Ditto.

Quick Reply: Throttle sensitivity