Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Upgrade suggestions

Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, makes sense.
I think the $14k aluminator makes about 500hp as is, so that could be an option for now.
You will also want some suspension upgrades if you are putting down that much power.

Also, feel free to ignore this paragraph because I assume you have already thought this through, but I want to say it anyways... I'm 28, so not that much older than you, but I would probably do something else with $12k... Yes some car upgrades are fun, but is it paid off? I would do that first if it isn't, then worry about upgrades. I can't say I am doing well at my own advice since I just bought an intake for my 2014 that I bought this year... but it is still something to consider. Plus if I don't say this somebody else will... and probably not in a nice way either lol.

Either way sounds like you are planning on having fun and I can't really say anything against that
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Nelson5900

An aluminator with new suspension how about brakes?

Yeah not much older and no worries i take all advice. Car was paid off fully at dealership so no worries there... And if you are thinking of me using my parents money then no, i pay for everything myself so lucky! Was thinking of a v6 2015 but can get more out of a gt and this has premium package with matte black
Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

they have ecoboosts with minor mods, tune and tires is all, going as fast, or faster than mine! might blow your mind if you drive one lol, check out the american muscle videos on them.

Brakes are always a good thing, and recommended as well for any big power setup, you might be able to find some used brembos(like mine, had them as an option since 11 so they should fit not problem), or get a good aftermarket set.

Also starting a retirement fund early pays off in the long run, not a bad idea to start when you have the money... sorry, can't help but give good advice , but it sounds like you have most everything figured out in that area! good job on paying for your car already.

With brakes, suspension, and then drivetrain and motor mods, then you won't have to worry about breaking things too soon.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Nelson5900

Thanks for the help, i am thinking of the Ford Racing 5.0L Coyote Aluminator XS Crate Engine and going on from there. 500+hp after that suspension and brakes. Sucks how an ecoboost can do that but great at the same time
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Why? Why take a fairly new (5 yrs or less) perfectly running car, pull out a perfectly healthy engine, just to put in a sealed crate engine and possibly create a whole heap of electrical issues.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Why? Why take a fairly new (5 yrs or less) perfectly running car, pull out a perfectly healthy engine, just to put in a sealed crate engine and possibly create a whole heap of electrical issues.
Yea, I don't get it either.

Add some kind of power adder whether it be turbo or supercharger, my preference would be an Edelbrock E-Force. You could always build up the bottom end to add more boost later.

Build up the suspension for putting the power to the ground and improve handling.

Upgrade the brakes.

Wheels and tires, if you plan to add a big brake kit, make sure you get wheels that will accommodate the brakes.

Dress up, whether it be exterior, interior or under the hood.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Nelson5900

Kind of because i rather change the engine now for 14k and have 500+ hp instead of adding a twin turbo now for 10k and have 600hp which would also have to upgrade a lot of other components in car. In the long term the new engine is best for what im looking to do withthe car. I am planning on selling the perfectly good 4.6l v8 though which has 50k miles on it
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I agree with staying wity your existing engine and upgrading that. You could be opening a can of worms doing an engine swap to what you believe is a better engine. It will be extra costly having a shop do the work for you. There are plenty of upgrades for the 3v 4.6.

I could see swapping to a coyote if you were driving a fox body, then the difference in engines justifies the work of putting a new different engine into the car.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:22 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

This is a silly thread, and makes me laugh. High school kid pulling out a perfectly good motor just to put in an aluminator? Right.

IF you actually do this, I hope you have your life insurance paid up. No high school kid should have that much power - especially one with judgment that is so skewed.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
There shouldn't be any electrical issues at all. It a pretty simple thing to do really for a good shop.

Originally Posted by Nelson5900
Kind of because i rather change the engine now for 14k and have 500+ hp instead of adding a twin turbo now for 10k and have 600hp which would also have to upgrade a lot of other components in car. In the long term the new engine is best for what im looking to do withthe car. I am planning on selling the perfectly good 4.6l v8 though which has 50k miles on it
For about 4k you can have a built short block made by any number of shops that will hold 800-1000 hp. Should be less than 2k for labor and tuning.

About 1k for fuel system and injectors.

Put in some a good cams, better springs, ARP hardware, long tubes while building it. Saves on labor.

By a Whipple, KB or other top name twin screw blower, put it in yourself, spend around 6k and your able to make around 600 rwhp.

For 12-14k you would have a built engine, dependable motor, power for days and a ton of power.

Don't be afraid to travel a ways to get to a shop that has done exactly what you are asking of them. I traveled 700 miles to have my motor built, twice. Well worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrade suggestions