Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Car runs rich, fail safe mode, dies wont restart HELP

Old 07-04-2015, 01:20 PM
maka

Default Car runs rich, fail safe mode, dies wont restart HELP

Purchased a 05 GT off of a guy. Ran just fine until I got it home a hour later. Its running REALLY rich, wide band is reading 11.7 at idle and 10 and pegging at a light cruise.
42lb injectors, comp cam stage 3, long tube headers, WMS intake, borla mufflers, stock throttle body (already changed it out entirely to another working one) one step colder spark plugs.

Whats happening is that it idles horribly, almost wants to stall out and sometimes does. When I take off in first gear it goes into fail safe mode and completely shuts down. It will not restart unless I pull the battery for a few seconds. It was previously tuned by HPTuners so I cannot change anything. Im getting codes p0135 , p0446, p061b, p2106
once in a while itll throw p0480 for a fan control which makes no sence. Any ideas? Im going to start trouble shooting by installing factory 19 pound injectors, and replacing the front 02 sensors.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

might want to consider going with stock heat range spark plugs, usually, the colder plugs are used when you have some sort of forced induction.

you will want to get a hand held tuner, so you can load up an appropriate tune for your
vehicle.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yikes, that sounds like a major headache. did you get a programmer/tuner with the car? sounds like the guy was planning on going FI in the future and lost interest or ran out of money. more than likely a tune issue that needs to be addressed. your not going to gain a lot with the cams and headers unless you go FI. sucks that you cant go back to stock tune. haha I guess hammeron and myself were replying at the same time
Old 07-04-2015, 02:14 PM
maka

I have a sct tuner I just purchased and I also have a trinity which I'm able to drive the car but running extremely rich with the trinity because I'm able to turn off some type of catyltis temp control?? It allows me to drive the car but I've never drove in something so rich before. He told me it was tuned by hptuners. No tuner when I bought the car. Sct doesn't seem to have many options when tuning using the hand held.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

try turning off the rear 02 sensors if you can. should be able to with the sct tuner. I think, and this is my opinion only, they guy you bought it from had a supercharger on it and took it off prior to sale. that's some major upgrades to stay NA. probably put SC on new car. just my thoughts.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 PM
maka

No the guy got laid off in the navy and just couldn't afford the car anymore he was still financing it. And I've removed he rear 02s on the sct and still ran like crap. The diablo trinity had 3 options under the odbII and once I turned them all of t ran like crap but it would run
Old 07-04-2015, 02:22 PM
maka

Would a bad O2 sensor cause t to run so rich? Or maybe a stuck open injector? That's why in trying to illuminate the minor things first.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:27 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

laid off in the navy? weird. illuminating things wont help, eliminating things will, sorry couldn't resist. a bad 02 sensor could cause it to run rich. stuck open injector could also. installing headers causes the 02 sensors to not come up to temp in the allotted time the ecm states so throws a code and runs rich. they don't heat up and hold the heat like cast iron oem manifolds. what kind of intake do you have. could be a possible maf sensor problem as well. stock TB should be fine. almost everything else added needs a tune. sorry, just looked up WMS and their intakes, looks nice, would think it needs a tune also.

Last edited by bl817; 07-04-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
maka

I'm running the wms 80mm intake. And sorry that's my auto correct on my phone saying illuminating
Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

haha, I figured, just kiddin around. that's a odd list of codes to have. they are all over the place. I would ask the guy you bought it from to quit BSing with you and tell you why he really sold the car. your stuck with his headache. id also call HPtuners on Monday and see if they can help you in any way. they should have records of email tune or whatnot. I hate to say it but if I were you id find some stock cams, and injectors and try to find a stock tune. does it have a boostapump fuel pump addon? jw. I saw you were going to replace the injectors. do you have them on hand? if not I have a set you can have if youd like.

Last edited by bl817; 07-04-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car runs rich, fail safe mode, dies wont restart HELP