Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Squeak noise from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 AM
donvictorio

Default Squeak noise from the rear

Hi guys,

How are you all?
My name is Victor and I am from Poland. You see, it is very hard to find a good car mechanic here, especially for the American Cars. Therefore I let myself ask you for an advice.

I have been hearing a squeaking noise while driving (it is audible from both inside and outside). Initially, it was a quiet squeak like a small mouse. Obviously the noise is getting louder and more irritating. It seems like it's coming from the rear right side of the car.

What kind of ideas come to your mind when you hear/see that? What could be causing that noise?

Please watch and listen to this 8-10 seconds video which I recorded for that purpose.

Kindly appreciate any feedback from you guys!

Vic

Old 07-20-2015, 09:56 AM
BobbyBatronic

Not entirely sure but I would guess a bad rubber bushing. check any parts that move around and aren't in a fixed position.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:13 AM
donvictorio

Thanks.

Could not detect any loose parts, perhaps that's because I tried without having a car lifted off the ground.

Is there any rubber bushing in the rear other than the one in the middle between the rear wheels?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Yawningfungus

Originally Posted by donvictorio
Thanks.

Could not detect any loose parts, perhaps that's because I tried without having a car lifted off the ground.

Is there any rubber bushing in the rear other than the one in the middle between the rear wheels?
I had exactly the same problem over in the UK, I found it was the bushings on the rear lower control arms (LCA's). I replaced them with BMR rear LCA's, an upgrade of a poor component in standard form.

The way I diagnosed the problem was I squirted wd40 onto the suspect bushings one at a time. Once I got the right one the squeaking stopped then I knew where the fault was. If it is the rear LCA it's a simple enough job to do at home too.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:41 AM
donvictorio

Thanks man. I hope you're right cause that would be really easy job.

I remember once after washing the car the noise went away, perhaps soap water came in and lubricated it for a few hours.

By the way, do you remember if that squeak would also occur almost as a response to a short but firm throttle accelerations? Like when you are pumping the throttle pedal and car jumps faster for a second and slows down (pitching movement).
Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 AM
Yawningfungus

Thanks man. I hope you're right cause that would be really easy job.

I remember once after washing the car the noise went away, perhaps soap water came in and lubricated it for a few hours.

By the way, do you remember if that squeak would also occur almost as a response to a short but firm throttle accelerations? Like when you are pumping the throttle pedal and car jumps faster for a second and slows down (pitching movement).
Yeah just before I changed the rear LCA's it would squeak constantly with every slight movement of the cars body. I actually originally thought it was one of the internal trim panels just rubbing against something as the squeak was only very small and not very often.

Definitely try the wd40 on the Rear LCA's to diagnose it, it kept the squeak quiet for about 10 - 15 miles of driving to.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Yawningfungus

If you join the www.mocgb.net forum you will generally get fairly quick responses for help and advice too. Only a handful of owners in the uk so your post wont quickly get swallowed up by others posting stuff too.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
donvictorio

Originally Posted by Yawningfungus
I had exactly the same problem over in the UK, I found it was the bushings on the rear lower control arms (LCA's). I replaced them with BMR rear LCA's, an upgrade of a poor component in standard form.

The way I diagnosed the problem was I squirted wd40 onto the suspect bushings one at a time. Once I got the right one the squeaking stopped then I knew where the fault w
as. If it is the rear LCA it's a simple enough job to do at home too.
Man, I have finally got it replaced .

You were totally correct! It was Lower Control Arm.

It took me a hell of a the time as Spain is ridiculous country but finally its done.

Thank you so much again!

Wiktor
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

This is a pretty good forum to get help from others too.
Glad you found the solution. I'll be listening for that noise too - nothing yet but I don't drive mine in the winter. I suspect road salt to dry out bushings like that.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

It took me a hell of a the time as Spain is ridiculous country but finally its done.
Victor, are you from Poland and living in Spain?
Glad you found an easy fix for that irritating squeak.

Quick Reply: Squeak noise from the rear