Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Underhood Fuse #47 - Disaster waiting to happen

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Default Underhood Fuse #47 - Disaster waiting to happen

This is something Ford should be completely ashamed off and should furnish a fix for immediately. It is too dangerous to ignore.
A few weeks ago my car just started to randomly stall while coasting to a stop. Throw it in neutral, shut it off and then it would start right up again. Only did the limp home thing once and no codes except for an evap emission code. This is the one and only time it threw a code during this whole ordeal, it never came back once. Its a 2009 GT auto. Checked all the obvious stuff, cleaned the throttle body (even though it isn't the stock type), cleaned the MAF, changed the plugs & fuel filter, even changed all the evap emissions components. All vacuum lines checked and were good. Cleaned and redid all the grounds and checked all connections. Eventually it started to not want to restart after a stall unless you waited a few minutes. Fuel pumps and FPDM's all ok.
Like I said it was random, and wouldn't do it for days at a time. So I figured it was ok to make the haul down to the AM show. Ran fine until I was on Rte 287 in New Jersey. Stopped to fill up and got back on the highway and at 65-70 mph, it shut off on me, Would shut right off like you turned the key off but did not lose electric.
Kept it rollin and got it started again. Then it happened 4 more times and eventually we made it to PA, crossing fingers all the way.
In PA, it started to not want to start. It would crank but not catch. It had fuel but seemed like no ignition. Fiddled with what I could (added seafoam and checked wires) and after the show we started home. Got all the way across the GW bridge and Cross-Bronx expressway fine but in CT it died at a rest stop waiting to get gas. Took a little while but once it cooled off it started up. Burned rubber getting out of there but ran into a traffic Jam in Stamford, CT. It died rolling to a stop again and would not start. On a hunch I checked Fuse #47. One side looked fine (which is I what I had looked at before) but the other side had a very tiny tell tale burned spot. Switched the fuse out and its been fine ever since.

I think its criminally dangerous that Ford allow a dinky little fuse to put people in danger while driving at speed. I mean it just shuts the car off, no power brakes or steering. Totally unacceptable. I'll post pics of the fuse when I get a chance tomorrow.

Last edited by jpplaw; 08-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.