Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shift Linkage Broke, Could Really Use Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Default Shift Linkage Broke, Could Really Use Some Help

Hello all. I broke the threads on my shift linkage and am really getting desperate. I've searched high and low for a used one and am running out of luck. I searched for about a month and couldn't get anything so I bit the bullet and bought a whole new shifter assembly from Ford. I went to replace the linkage and it didn't work! It was a little bit too long and I wasn't able to put the car into 1st, 3rd, or 5th.

Here's the old one (left) next to the new one (right):

I took it back to Ford and they were stumped. I was able to return the whole assembly. They wanted pictures and measurements because it is definitely the correct part number.

Here's a diagram of the whole assembly:

I have sent out emails and called as many places as I can think of and I can't even find a used one off a junker. I'm into month three now and am at a loss.

I am thinking that I might be able to drill out the center portion, tap it, and rethread a similar sized bolt, but I'm still looking for other options because that seems iffy to me. It is a TR3650 transmission with an MGW shifter. Any ideas or help?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Have you called MGW to see if they can provide just the shifter linkage?

Did they (Ford) use your VIN number when looking up the part? I know they use the same "part #" accross many years and models of vehicles... it's more of a "this part of a vehicle" rather than a number for this part of the vehicle on this particular model. I know I've gone in with the number stamped on a ford part, and there were several options depending on what year and model was being used.

Last edited by danzcool; 08-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Have you called MGW to see if they can provide just the shifter linkage? It looks like most of their short throw shifters come with shifter linkage.
They actually don't make that part. I called them first. It isn't a part of their kits, it uses the stock linkage.

Just to clarify: this is NOT an MGW part. All the short throw shifters I could find do not replace this arm. I could be wrong, but MGW does NOT. They explained it very well to me and I still love their short throw shifter. It is a stock Ford part.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Have you called MGW to see if they can provide just the shifter linkage?

Did they (Ford) use your VIN number when looking up the part? I know they use the same "part #" accross many years and models of vehicles... it's more of a "this part of a vehicle" rather than a number for this part of the vehicle on this particular model. I know I've gone in with the number stamped on a ford part, and there were several options depending on what year and model was being used.
Answer to your second question, I used all the Ford numbers (and my VIN) available. I gave them the original part number (7210) and that was the incorrect length. I took the part directly to the dealership and let them have a look at it (it still had the sticker on it) and even that part number turned up a completely different part (they showed me the part, it wasn't even close). I don't know what's going on with that, but they couldn't find an alternative.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I found this little tidbit for Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter installation, it seems ford changed the shifter location for the 2010 4.6L model, and that the 2010 would have a slightly longer shift rod.

You might look around on the forums for someone who did the swap to a Tremec S197 Magnum transmission, as it uses a direct shifter and they would no longer need the linkage rod. Other than that, maybe try a different ford parts counter and hope the guy doing the lookup doesn't get it wrong, I really think that's what happened, he got the part for the 2010 s197 instead of the '05-'09.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I found this little tidbit for Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter installation, it seems ford changed the shifter location for the 2010 4.6L model, and that the 2010 would have a slightly longer shift rod.

You might look around on the forums for someone who did the swap to a Tremec S197 Magnum transmission, as it uses a direct shifter and they would no longer need the linkage rod. Other than that, maybe try a different ford parts counter and hope the guy doing the lookup doesn't get it wrong, I really think that's what happened, he got the part for the 2010 s197 instead of the '05-'09.
That would not surprise me at all. We did search using the VIN though, so who knows.

I managed to track one down in Georgia though. They measured the part and we compared pictures so they're overnighting it to me. Modern Muscle in Georgia. The woman Tori was very kind and helpful. Hopefully this works, thanks for your responses Danzcool!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:27 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Awesome, get that car back on the road!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

if all else fails, you could always cut about 1/4" to 3/16" out of the taller bracket, and have it welded back together. most fab shops could do this for a minimal fee. heck, even find a shop with a press and press the busted bolt out, good bolt out. and press the good bolt back in the old bracket. heck again, the bolt might just thread into the bracket. could be a direct swap. throwin ideas. good luck

Last edited by bl817; 08-27-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I hate never hearing the outcome of a thread, update??
Old 10-20-2015, 03:25 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I hate never hearing the outcome of a thread, update??
I replaced the linkage with the one I bought in Georgia. Works great.

Quick Reply: Shift Linkage Broke, Could Really Use Some Help