MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Pure Gas - Ethanol Free (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/721760-pure-gas-ethanol-free.html)

algregory 09-07-2015 09:57 PM

Pure Gas - Ethanol Free

Anyone tried it? Any difference to write home about?

I have an '05 GT with a CAI Tuned for Regular Gas. I've been reading about "Pure Gas" there is an App you can get to tell you where the stations are. I almost bought some for my last fill up, but the station carried premium and I know running premium in a "regular" car doesn't really make any gains so it wasn't a valid test.

I've read that "Pure Gas" lasts a long time, doesn't make deposits, and more, wondering if there is any improvement in the running that is worth writing home about.

I do know that years ago my father drove out of his home state with ethanol into a state without ethanol, and he said his MPG wen up quite noticeably.

Wondering....

jwog666 09-07-2015 10:17 PM

i use pure gas in my mustang and in my small engine stuff, no real performance gains, just like the idea that what i put it in can sit during the off seasons without the ethanol turning to crap and gumming up everything. if u ever have to pull apart a few carbs in the spring to clean them due to bad fuel, you will do the same. but on a daily driver that doesnt si for periods of time, u can run the normal E10 without concern

jz78817 09-08-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by algregory (Post 8506508)

I've read that "Pure Gas" lasts a long time, doesn't make deposits, and more, wondering if there is any improvement in the running that is worth writing home about.

you've read a bunch of bull****. the two key problems with ethanol are 1) it is hygroscopic and absorbs water easily, and 2) is incompatible with some materials used in the fuel systems of older cars. it doesn't really make gas go bad any sooner, because "pure gas" goes bad once the lighter/more volatile petroleum fractions evaporate away.

I do know that years ago my father drove out of his home state with ethanol into a state without ethanol, and he said his MPG wen up quite noticeably.

Wondering....
this, on the other hand, is not bull****. Ethanol molecules contain oxygen, which means its optimum air:fuel ratio has to have more fuel for a given amount of air. The stoichiometric (optimal) air:fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1. the stoich for ethanol is 9:1. so naturally, adding more ethanol to your gasoline means you need to run a rich fuel mix, which will reduce your fuel economy.

hey, at least we aren't running nitromethane, which has a stoichiometric air:fuel ratio of 1.7:1 ;)

movielover40 09-09-2015 10:27 AM

I believe Mobil still uses pure gas.

Much better for older cars that use carburetors.

Nuke 09-11-2015 11:44 AM

Little to no gain performance wise but up to about 4 mpg gain under certain operating situations. I'll fill the Stangs with non-ethanol if convenient. It's ALL I use in my boat and yard equipment due to fuel line deterioration.