Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Instrument Panel Temp Gauge Going Far Right.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 07:54 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Instrument Panel Temp Gauge Going Far Right.

Hello, I have an '05 GT which I've kept in great condition. Truth be told I've not had to do very much to it. My body, health and feet don't allow me to play with it much anymore, but I've kept up with oil changes, 5-Speed oil changes, and even a differential fluid change. That one really whipped my butt!

So, any clue on the temp gauge in the instrument panel? Yesterday deep into the hot vicinity. Again today. Now, I'm pretty sure that when start up happens, that the gauge would be at where you would expect, at the left. Today I started it up and the needle was already in middle section of the gauge.

On the other hand if you ask the car for a systems check, it says the coolant temperature is "OK" and the car is not exhibiting any of the things I knew of the old days when the cooling system was in trouble. (I just turned 75)

So is there easy fix? Should I just let it go? Is it just an instrument panel glitch? Any clue would be appreciated, Both body and wallet are not willing to deal with it.

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-07-2022, 08:18 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I just watched a video on "YouTube"

"2005 Ford Mustang How To Repair Instrument Cluster Gauges"

Guess I'll let it go for a bit, not ready to get involved in that stuff, Reckon that answers my question.

Thanks, Gregory
Old 08-08-2022, 06:19 AM
JimC

That was my thought, likely it is the stepper motors on the cluster going out. Expect to see other gauges start acting up soon too.

We were looking at a place in New Bern a few years ago. Ended up buying a place in Winston Salem instead because my wife realized that hurricane issues were more likely in New Bern than Winston.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:33 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That was my thought, likely it is the stepper motors on the cluster going out. Expect to see other gauges start acting up soon too.

We were looking at a place in New Bern a few years ago. Ended up buying a place in Winston Salem instead because my wife realized that hurricane issues were more likely in New Bern than Winston.
I can't fault NB, we have not had any real problems at my place with hurricanes. Downside, it's a small town so some things you have in your area may not be here. When we first got here it was fun to go to various places in a day drive. We moved here from San Jose, CA so I know what having everything you need to be "handy" is like. I also know what traffic is like, I do not miss the traffic at all! I suspect you see traffic where you be, but, a lot of "Things" are right around the corner for you.

My GT is not a daily driver, and at 75 years I'm not jumping into pulling the dash. Been watching YouTube videos, I may be getting closer to doing the deed than I think.
Gregory

Old 08-12-2022, 02:33 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

It takes only 15 minutes to remove the instrument cluster from the dash.
I replaced all six stepper motors inside mine about 18 months ago. If you're handy with a desoldering/soldering iron the job is pretty easy. Just take your time and be patient.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:10 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I appreciate the feedback from y'all but I chickened out for sure! At 75 years I know my limitations! I looked at You Tube to figure out what was going on with the gauge. I found the site that told me how to get the instrument panel out, I bought nylon pry bar kit, for automotive use, which was good, my dash as the nice-looking metal facade, I don't think screwdriver with electrical tape would have been good.

I sent my unit to Circuit Board Medics - Automotive & Appliance Circuit Repair on Monday, they sent me an email on Wednesday saying it arrived. Sent me an email yesterday saying it had been shipped, it arrived middle afternoon today, and I had it re-installed by 1700 Hrs. Fired it up, gauges worked, didn't want to take my freshly washed car out in the rain. I'm in North Carolina, they are in South Carolina so not a long trip!

They took $129 to replace all six of those little motor things. They took about $16 for FedEx to and from. That is all arranged and paid when making the Order.

Gregory
Old 08-20-2022, 07:23 AM
JimC

I'm glad to hear that you are up and running again!