Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

sct x4 fried pcm

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:23 PM
freakmore1

Unhappy sct x4 fried pcm

looking for some help .. last week i returned my car back to stock with my x4 and had new gears installed .. when i picked the car up i tried reloading custom tune back on with the new gear setting .. everything to seemed to be going ok but failed to load tune all the way which killed the car causing a no crank no start digital display was going crazy no odometer and check charging system , low fuel showed... tried to load again and it wouldnt communicate with the computer so towed car home and had to wait until monday to talk to sct .. while i waited i checked fuses , relay , grounds , and starter ... replaced starter anyway since it was original even though tested good at home and bench tested good ... found no problems and battery is new and checked fine as well ... on monday sct did remote acess and loaded recovery file and updated tuner .. tune loaded up but still crank no start so had car towed to ford where they performed pinpoint test and checked wiring .. they said computer was fried and need a new one . they also tried reflashing but could not communicate with the computer .. was told theres no ground coming from it ... ive seen alot of others having same kind of problems... i called sct and was told there tuner wouldnt cause this but find it hard to believe when it happened while using it and there are no other problems with the car .. it is a 06 with only 80k... i am ordering a new computer on monday but i am very uneasy about using this x4 on the new one and potentially doing the same thing im already 1k into this with towing , diagnosis , rental car ... any help would be appreciated ... and should i ask for a new tuner and best place to order computer from seems like places im finding are bad on the reviews ty...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Damn shame bro, hope everything works out for you, and you find out what caused this prob in the first place
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If there is no ground coming from it and there should be, did they check it?

It's not common for the PCM to go bad but is not unheard of.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 PM
freakmore1

from what ford told me they did a pinpoint test and checked everything up to computer ... everything else checked out ok . just seems wierd to me ... and my x4 can still load tunes up even though computer is supposedly fried seems off
Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I always hold my breath when loading a tune too. Fortunately have I started to breath again after each load/reload. Losing the computer has to suck! I can't see why loading a tune would have caused the problem unless your voltage got low and the communication was flakey. First time I did it, my battery was kind of low so I put a charger on it to keep it happy while the tune loaded - then I bought a new battery.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
freakmore1

well put new preprogrammed computer in today ... still no crank just my luck ... so guess i shoulda kept my 500 dollars instead of taking it to ford lol
Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

So did they find out why it wouldn't crank? I assume you took it to Ford to install it.
I'm surprised a new PCM is only $500 and not $2-3000.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 PM
freakmore1

sorry should edit that .. i bought a reman from a1 cardone .. installed myself ... still no crank ... so started pinpoint inspection myself ... so far checked battery . starter . relays and fuses , smart junction box with key on ... power to neutral safety switch.. but for some reason something is not completeing circuit to relay .. can jump at relay and it will crank ... still havent checked ignition switch and want to try and bypass neutral safety switch ..
Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like it has to do with the security system not recognizing the security key. I had a key cut once and until it was recognized by the 'system' there was no crank either but most other things seemed to work. I assume the crank relay is direct from the PCM (or perhaps the BCM) so perhaps your 'new' PCM needs to be programmed to recognize your keys. (Just guessing though). Maybe you need to find a teenager! LOL.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

^^^^

YEP, PCM will not recognize the keys you have. A good locksmith may charge less than the dealer for reprogramming the keys to the PCM if you wanna try that route.
Most independent shops will not have the money invested to do this.