Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best most cost effective brake upgrade for 2005-2009 GT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Default Best most cost effective brake upgrade for 2005-2009 GT???

So I have a 2007 GT/CS and its pretty quick and getting quicker with eveory upgrade.so as much as we all love to go fast,I want to be able to slow down too.lol! So what's the best most cost effective upgrades? GT500 upgrade?front only or rear as well? What size rotor is over kill for N.A. GT? Is there over kill when it comes to stopping? What's a fair price range for upgrades? What's best brands and where to buy them? Thanks! Any info will be taken into consideration of my purchase... Also can some one explain how to post pictures to me,please! I use a droid turbo2 phone for most my post but can use computer if needed.thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I did the upgrade to the 2012 GT brakes which are about an inch larger diameter rotors. I got the two front calipers with brackets and 4 rotors from roush on ebay, for 100 dollars, but they are not available anymore. Best upgrade is a good set of brake pads. I use EBC yellowstuff because I track the car a lot. Also use Motul RBF 600 brake fluid and your brakes will never fade.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I have Powerslot front rotors with hawk ceramic pads. Definitely better than stock and probably enough for a GT with simple bolt-ons.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

So Dino what kinds of mods are you running on your stang? How does it preform as far as daily driving?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I put the GT500 brakes on my 2007 Shelby GT, direct bolt on, no problems. The stock pads are awesome. The Ford HD brake fluid is as good as it gets for way less money.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Awolsome! That's what I'm leaning towards and if I eventually go with a roots style S.C. It should be good to go as well with those GT 500 brakes.there are just so many aftermarket kits available,its like do I relly need to spend 2-3k on my brake system upgrade??? Would like to be in the $1k-$1500 range.guess we see what kind of deals I can find
Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 GT//CS
So Dino what kinds of mods are you running on your stang? How does it perform as far as daily driving?
It has the same civilized road manners as a stock GT but with more power, a sharper throttle response, shorter gearshifts, a smoother drivetrain, and better braking, making it more fun as a daily driver. Here's my mod list:

Engine

JLT series 3 CAI & SCT X3 tuner
DIY charge motion delete plates
Steeda underdrive pulleys
Valve cover breathers
Brenspeed 91 octane custom tune

Exhaust

Ford Racing cut n' clamp X-pipe
GT/CS axleback exhausts (used)

Drivetrain

McLeod RXT twin disc clutch assembly
McLeod billet steel flywheel
McLeod braided SS clutch hydraulic line
Barton short throw shifter
DSS 3.5" aluminum driveshaft

Rear Suspension

BMR rear lower control arms & relocation brackets

Brakes

Powerslot cryotreated front rotors
Hawk Performance ceramic front brake pads

Interior

6-gauge instrument cluster (used)
Info/Setup/Reset switch assembly
Leather steering wheel (used)

Exterior

CDC hood struts
Radiator extension covers (used)

Aerodynamics

2010 Mustang GT engine heat shield
DIY engine undertray extensions

It handles well too but there's room for improvement. Currently running Dunlop 255/45R18Y tires on chrome Bullitts. I don't want to lower the car 'cause it'll scrape on too many speed bumps so my future suspension upgrades will be limited to Koni STR.T shocks/struts, BMR rear sway bar end links, Energy Suspension front/rear sway bar bushings, and Energy Suspension front control arm bushings.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a awesome set up Dino! Like the fact that you paid alot of attention to the drivetrain and how it would handle current and future mods.just cerous if the C's/GT axle back exhaust stroke different than regular GT's? If so I have the set that came off my 07 GT/CS with 7k miles on them and could list them on used parts site.definatly going to do the aluminum driveshaft soon to.been running the custom 93 octane Preformance custom tune from BAMA for the last couple weeks sence I got the new Ford racing manifold and also have a 93 octane race tune I haven't even tried yet.so far all mods haven't had any adverse effects on day to day driving or milage as long as I keep a light foot.hope to see some pictures of your stang some time and will be posting more of mine soon.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Also didn't realise that the GT's didn't come with the leather steering wheel,6guage cluster,reset info on dash...we also have color change option on gauges,light up door seal plates ,aluminum dash and trim package,factory side scoops,dirrerent rear valance,originally had GT/CS front bumper but changed to Elinor style after hitting a raccoon at 65mph lol!all factory except light up seal plates and bumper.thinking about using thick lexan to make custom belly pan ,sence they don't offer much for Elinor front end.maby let it stick out a little up front and cut it to follow contour of lower bumper and then install chin spoiler braces/struts to it.as far as other mods got the 2 custom bama 93octain tunes,bbk 62mm T.b.,Ford racing manifold with built in delete plates,bbk cold air kit,axle back exhaust,stack racing strut tower brace,factory 18 " aluminum wheels and perilla tires.got air coming in good now time to get it coming out good.i can't afford to drop ton of cash on it at one time but always try to stick a few bucks back eveory week for upgrades as I can.also installed blue LEDs in front bumper on side vents ,just have to wire the switch now
Old 05-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 GT//CS
Also didn't realise that the GT's didn't come with the leather steering wheel, 6-guage cluster, reset info on dash
Mine is a Deluxe model and it came with only the base interior package (plastic steering wheel, 4-gauge cluster, and no MyColor).

just cerous if the C's/GT axle back exhaust stroke different than regular GT's?
I think the only difference between the GT/CS axlebacks and the regular GT's are the chrome tips. When I bought my car it had a pair of drony, no-name axlebacks which I didn't like but luckily a friend had a spare pair of take-off GT/CS axlebacks and I quickly snapped them up to save my eardrums! I later sold the other axlebacks to another guy who wanted a louder exhaust and recouped the money I'd spent.

Quick Reply: Best most cost effective brake upgrade for 2005-2009 GT???