Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Slop noise in 06GT 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default Slop noise in 06GT 5 speed

Trans has been making more noise lately. And at random times hard to get in the gate. Also makes a weird humm/vibration noise, that goes away when the clutch is in. Also the trans feels like it "bounces" like a lose or worn trans mount. All sorts of things going on here, lol.

The noise in the video seem normal???? Seems like a lot of play inside the trans

Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Is it in gear or neutral? The play on the output shaft looks pretty normal. It's hard to tell in the video when you move to the front of the trans what all the banging is. Are you still just rotating the shaft? I dunno though, it sounds kinda hollow, when is the last time you checked the fluid level? Not going into gear is a synchro issue, that seems to be a pretty common failure with the 3650.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Is it in gear or neutral? The play on the output shaft looks pretty normal. It's hard to tell in the video when you move to the front of the trans what all the banging is. Are you still just rotating the shaft? I dunno though, it sounds kinda hollow, when is the last time you checked the fluid level? Not going into gear is a synchro issue, that seems to be a pretty common failure with the 3650.
It was in gear at the time. I have not checked the fluid. Its bone dry under there but I suspect some nasty looking fluid in there. happened to be talking to a dealer while working today and I asked him what his thoughts were. He said change the fluid, they do it all the time and works wonders. Hardly has come across a syncro issue. But this was one dealer, one service advisor. Changing the fluid at this point is a no brainer, and the cheapest thing to try at this point. But seems to be somewhat of a task. (Especially in the driveway)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My '05 GT is only a couple of miles, literally, under an even 90k. I've changed to synthetic ATF at less than 20k, then at odometer 30k and 60k points and guess I should be considering doing it again soon. All in the driveway. Did mine with a fluid pump. Others have talked of running a tube past the shifter inside the car to the trans. I'd be afraid of a screw-up and getting the ATF spilled in the car meself.

Maybe your ATF is tuckered out if you have not changed it?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

I would agree that the "slop" is within normal standards. 1-change the fluid to any synthetic ATF of your choice besides RP, over time it eats the synchros. fill to the bottom of the top fill hole 3.2 quarts. I also used the pump method from underneath. make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you drain. 3/8" socket wrench short extension works just fine. 2- the "bounce" you describe is more than likely the engine mounts that are shot. replace with new OEM or to help firm up shifts go for some poly type like prothane. they will add a bit of NVH but its tolerable IMHO. 3- this is just for better/crisper shifting, invest in an MGW/Barton shifter. good luck
Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Changing the fluid in your driveway isn't all that difficult, and even that's only for the 'fill' part of the job. Mostly, it's just time consuming and you have to be patient***. You will need 4 jackstands (or two ramps + 2 jackstands) and you'll want the car to end up being close to level so that your fill checking is good.

*** I usually refill the transmission using an old 4-oz bottle that originally contained LSD friction modifier, with a short hose stuck on the nozzle. There's just enough room to hold that size bottle at/above the fill hole.

Norm