Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ball Joints at 45K????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Simon1
I would like someone with some Ford expertise Like a tech) weigh in on this. I can't find the thread on another forum I was thinking about. But I recall someone saying they had be pressed in. So it's like $200 give or take for new A arms with the ball joint included, I wonder how much it would be to have them replaced at a shop with just OEM stuff...
It has to be pressed in and the old one out of course...so if you have a professional do it for you, the point is moot as the money saved towards keeping the arm will disappear in dealing with the ball joint or be more expensive even, as he will do it on a press.
If you do it yourself, make sure you have the correct tools to do the job so it's not a painful task...
Here's an amateur way of doing it:
Old 02-02-2017, 12:52 AM
mightymax

My 06 Pony Convertible was taken once to an NTB for a quick oil change and tire rotation at 34,000 mi. They told me I needed ball joints and I said take her down cause it is still under warranty. So I went down the street to the dealership and they looked at it. They assured me that the NTB guys were stroking me and the ball joints were fine.
6 months later when the car is no longer under warranty at just under 40K I take the car to Ford for an oil change or something minor. Guess what I needed. Yep ball joints. Man was I livid but they assured me that they did not lie to me about the ball joints being okay and it was just an unfortunate coincidence! So I am told it is a complete unit and you cannot just change the ball joints but have to replace the unit as a whole. 1300.00 bucks! Okay fast forward to yesterday. I just got my car back from Ford because it needed ball joints again!!! Another 1300.00 bucks but it drives great again but for how long???? So I told them if they had used Moog parts that they are guaranteed for life. Of course they use their parts and only guarantee them for two years.... So I have had ball joints replaced twice in 7 years on a ten year old car....
Am I the only one having to replace these???? I drive mostly highway and trust me I aint abusing this car....
Max Bryant
Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

What did they replace for 1300 dollars. You could have gotten the upper control arm for a few hundred bucks and install yourself

Originally Posted by mightymax
My 06 Pony Convertible was taken once to an NTB for a quick oil change and tire rotation at 34,000 mi. They told me I needed ball joints and I said take her down cause it is still under warranty. So I went down the street to the dealership and they looked at it. They assured me that the NTB guys were stroking me and the ball joints were fine.
6 months later when the car is no longer under warranty at just under 40K I take the car to Ford for an oil change or something minor. Guess what I needed. Yep ball joints. Man was I livid but they assured me that they did not lie to me about the ball joints being okay and it was just an unfortunate coincidence! So I am told it is a complete unit and you cannot just change the ball joints but have to replace the unit as a whole. 1300.00 bucks! Okay fast forward to yesterday. I just got my car back from Ford because it needed ball joints again!!! Another 1300.00 bucks but it drives great again but for how long???? So I told them if they had used Moog parts that they are guaranteed for life. Of course they use their parts and only guarantee them for two years.... So I have had ball joints replaced twice in 7 years on a ten year old car....
Am I the only one having to replace these???? I drive mostly highway and trust me I aint abusing this car....
Max Bryant
Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I just got rid of the arms and got the GT500 ones. Beefy beasts, well worth the money
Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by outceltj
What did they replace for 1300 dollars. You could have gotten the upper control arm for a few hundred bucks and install yourself

Yeah, what all did they do for $1,300.00???
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

He got shafted, simple.
He's got less than 40K miles on his car which is nothing, so I'm sure that his ball joints were fine cause well...dealers are not to be trusted.
As for the $1300 price tag, last tie I checked the lower arms were $360 from Ford and 2.5 hour labor per side (if I recall correctly) at an $80 hourly rate.
Add tax and you're already well past a $1000. Add an alignment etc... and next thing you know you're at 1300.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Ah, the joys of living in the third world. I paid the equivalent of 75.00 US$ to have both of my GT500 arms installed. Actually now that I think about it, the most I've paid in labor is 107.00US$ to get the clutch replaced.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Thats crazy. i didn't end up installing mine as I had some things I needed to checked. I had a antifreeze leak and could not figure it out so I had set up a shop time with brenspeed. And if I'm not mistaken they charged 180 to install those. Come to find out my meziere water pump was leaking. Damn the luck. If i had hadn't needed to take it for that i would have done it myself. I also changed my exhaust b/c it was too loud for me. For a speed shop they seem reasonable to me. I just need to get it aligned which i need to set that up before i get home.

Anyway thats insane pricing for replacing those. I guess people end up paying for it.

Originally Posted by pascal
He got shafted, simple.
He's got less than 40K miles on his car which is nothing, so I'm sure that his ball joints were fine cause well...dealers are not to be trusted.
As for the $1300 price tag, last tie I checked the lower arms were $360 from Ford and 2.5 hour labor per side (if I recall correctly) at an $80 hourly rate.
Add tax and you're already well past a $1000. Add an alignment etc... and next thing you know you're at 1300.