Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

07 GT Wont Start After Tune?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM
MikeyBoy07GT

Default 07 GT Wont Start After Tune?!

I had downloaded a tune for someone else vehicle into my car. After the tune was downloaded successfully and i went to start the car, the wrench light came on and the car didn't even crank. Battery is working fine.. What can this be? Tuner also isn't able to read vehicle any longer. Help?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Did you try returning to stock?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM
MikeyBoy07GT

Yes i did, then when i tried starting it is wouldn't even crank. I have done a lot of research and unfortunately I think the tuner might have fried my PCM. The car was 100% fine before i Installed the CAI and tune yesterday.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:56 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Wow, bad news. I'd probably start with a battery charger or jumpers, just to be sure that you are fully charged.
Where did you get the tuner? Did it give you a "complete" screen? How about when you took the tune out? Have you tried disconnecting the battery since loading the stock tune?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:23 PM
MikeyBoy07GT

It says check charging system, and DTE ODO ERR on the dash. Would a not fully charged battery cause the electronics to go on but the car to not even crank? The tuner was bought unmarried from a friend. Made the mistake of loading his tune in my car instead of getting my own custom one. I tried disconnecting the battery twice, still nothing. I'm thinking I might have unplugged the tuner before taking the keys out. That might have fried my whole computer system. Not sure though.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by MikeyBoy07GT
The tuner was bought unmarried from a friend. Made the mistake of loading his tune in my car instead of getting my own custom one..
There is your problem. And yes, you fried your PCM as a result. Tunes are set up for specific computer codes and options. When you try to load a tune for a different computer code you turn the PCM into a nice brick.

You will need to replace the PCM or may be able to tow it to a dealer and get it reflashed to the stock tune.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

JimC is correct. You will have to have your car towed to the dealer and have the PCM re-flashed to stock by them (I know, I did something similar). Then you will have to buy your own tune, giving the tuner the code from the PCM in your vehicle.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 PM
MikeyBoy07GT

I figured it was the PCM. So once thats replaced. Ill have to download specific tunes to my car and then should all work smoothly? Does this have to be done at a dealership or can any service place (pep boys,auto zone) take care of this ?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

If you are positive of the PCM diagnosis, then a dealer will have to be the one to fix it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by MikeyBoy07GT
I figured it was the PCM. So once thats replaced. Ill have to download specific tunes to my car and then should all work smoothly? Does this have to be done at a dealership or can any service place (pep boys,auto zone) take care of this ?
You might be able to just have yours reflashed to stock - and the dealer will be the only one who will be able to pull a stock tune from Ford to reflash it. Pep Boys won't be able to get a tune. And if your PCM is too damaged and must be replaced, again Pep Boys won't be able to program it to your car and keys - so you are back to the dealer again.