Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best cams for road racing with stock engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I have to wonder what's going on here. My 4.6L doesn't begin to feel like that until 5700, maybe 5800 (and it downright crawls at 5900
Mine rips all the way past 6k so I wonder if your CMCVs aren't opening fully and causing some restriction. If so, delete plates with a CMCV delete tune will fix it.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to get the delete plates first and tune it and see how it goes, then headers, then underdrive pulleys, then do the cams.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Mine rips all the way past 6k so I wonder if your CMCVs aren't opening fully and causing some restriction. If so, delete plates with a CMCV delete tune will fix it.
It hadn't occurred to me that the CMCVs might be the problem (though I'm not getting any codes for that or anything else). At the very least, it's given me something to check for (mechanical interference with and wear or damage to the CMCV linkage). Thanks.

I don't want to trade my FRPP tune for any aftermarket tune that emphasizes enhanced response at small throttle openings. Which I suspect is most of them. Pedal resolution for fine control of power delivery is important to me, big doses of response are not.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-29-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:21 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

gutting your existing plates is super simple and cheap (25$ or so) and only takes 24hrs or so to let the aluminum quik-steel set up, a dremmel and stone bit to smooth the rough edges. reinstall, use your tuner to turn them off and back to racing. good luck
Old 05-30-2017, 05:52 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
gutting your existing plates is super simple and cheap (25$ or so) and only takes 24hrs or so to let the aluminum quik-steel set up, a dremmel and stone bit to smooth the rough edges. reinstall, use your tuner to turn them off and back to racing. good luck
I might do that once I get my other car back. Can't afford to be without a car right now. I have JB Weld. I'm guessing that should work for the mod.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:19 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

NO NO NOOOOO, don't use jb weld. order some aluminum quik-steel from amazon or wherever, you need 2 tubes, you wont use both but one is not enough. the plates are aluminum and the aluminum quik-steel bonds very well. you don't want a lump of jb weld working its way loose and going into the engine. if you need some help just let me know, I have a link to a vid somewhere or you can google diycmdp, one step he missed. you will need a tune tho and I'm sure you have a programmer that can do that easily.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I thought the plates were plastic? Anyway thanks for the tip. I'll get the aluminum quik-steel. Thanks.

This is the one I have now, but I'll go with your recommendation:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
I have a link to a vid somewhere or you can google diycmdp
This:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Mustang2006GT/CMDP.html