Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

A/C doesn't work anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 AM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

Default A/C doesn't work anymore

Hi,

today was the first time I turned on my A/C this year and I noticed it doesn't blow cold air anymore. I checked the compressor and it repeatedly turns on and off.

What could be the problem?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:11 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

sounds like it is low on R-13...I recently picked up a 2005 Mustang GT where the compressor didn't turn on at all (it seemed to work on the test drive but my car had been sitting in a garage unused for about 4 years)...

I followed the instructions on a can of A/C Pro and my clutch cycled on and off like you describe...I finished that bottle and bought another (without the gauge as you can transfer the gauge to a new can) and my A/C is working like new...

Good luck with yours.

Bill
Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

You've hit the nail on the head.
The AC system has a very small leak and is low on refrigerant. Obviously it'll need to be replenished but you might want to have some ultraviolet sensitive dye added to locate the leak. Otherwise you'll eventually get fed up with frequently topping up the system.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:44 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

thanks...I did use the stuff that had a system sealer in it...my particular Mustang GT had been sitting in a garage unused for about 4 years before I bought it a couple weeks back.

Bill
Old 05-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverSport
my particular Mustang GT had been sitting in a garage unused for about 4 years before I bought it a couple weeks back.
With the car standing for that long without the engine running, there's a good chance the AC compressor seals and other AC system o-rings have dried up and perished.
The second worse thing you can do to a car is not to use it (the first is crashing it and making it a total loss).
Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

totally agree...the seller gave me a nice price because he wanted to see his car back on the road and realized he wouldn't be able to get to it still for some time...

thanks,

Bill
Old 06-01-2017, 05:09 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

mine is the seals and possibly more...after a couple days I tried the AC and it is of course, dead...had it looked at and my mechanics say at least a seal has perished (from not being used) and may be a leak elsewhere shown by the dye...

Bill
Old 06-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get a black light and some cool orange glasses and get under the hood to see where the leak(s) is/are at.

Since your system is already empty, you can open it yourself. Get an AC system seal kit that comes with all new seals for about 10 bucks from Rock Auto, a new receiver drier, and a new orifice tube ($3). Replace all of the leaking seals and the orifice tube and receiver drier and then take it to a shop to check for any more leaks and refill the system. Under $50 for all the parts, just a couple of hours and then about $100 to $150 for the shop.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

good advice...thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 05:14 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

hope your not replacing engine, trans, rearend seals next, that's a long time for any vehicle to sit. I believe the ac system is going to be the least of your worries very soon.