Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Can you run Comp Cams' Stage II Mutha' Thumprs without a tune without throwing a code

Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Question Can you run Comp Cams' Stage II *****' Thumprs without a tune without throwing a code

Background: When I originally purchased my '05 (used), it came equipped with off road exhaust, long tube headers and other mods. However, there was no check engine light upon purchase and it even passed inspection and has passed since. I decided a while ago that I would buy a new tune through Bama using their sct tuner. Well, after I installed the tune, the CEL came on which was weird (well it threw codes for the exhaust). However, the odd part is that when I "return to stock" (take off the Bama tune) the CEL goes away...which brings me to posting this thread and is why I am asking if I can run these cams on a stock tune (or whatever the tune my car has without the tune from Bama when I return to stock).

Since I am looking into getting these cams, they both require Comps' phaser limiter kit to be installed which lowers the degree of retardation at less than or equal to 20 degrees.

Now according to Comp Cams' FAQ for their limiter kit, they state that "Yes, you MUST have your engine’s computer reprogrammed for the engine to operate properly after installing the cam phaser limiters. The Ford factory computer does a diagnostic sweep test of the cam phasers upon start-up. If the computer cannot get the cam phasers to reach their programmed maximum limit, an error mode occurs. The engine will continue to run, but the cam phasers will not function properly."

Now before you tell me that I answered my own question (and I am well aware of it), the main question is this: Assuming you are running the factory tune, will the PCM throw a MIL or a code with these cams+phaser limiters?

This is due to Comp Cams' FAQ statement earlier saying that "If the computer cannot get the cam phasers to reach their programmed maximum limit, an error mode occurs." I'm not sure if "error mode" means a thrown code or just a mechanical error?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 AM
JimC

Did you get the tuner new or is one that came with the car. If you bought a new SCT my guess is that you bought the car used and it already has a tune on it for the cams. When you loaded your new tune it took the tune from your car as the "stock" tune. And the tune you ordered is missing some element for a modification, causing the check engine light to trip.

What code did you get with the CEL?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Did you get the tuner new or is one that came with the car. If you bought a new SCT my guess is that you bought the car used and it already has a tune on it for the cams. When you loaded your new tune it took the tune from your car as the "stock" tune. And the tune you ordered is missing some element for a modification, causing the check engine light to trip.

What code did you get with the CEL?
Thanks for the reply! Okay so I believe the car came with a tune, but I'm not 100% sure (I just assume since I bought it with quite a few mods on her). However, I completely purchased a new tune that came with the sct tuner from Bama Performance.

Aside from that, do you think that anyone in general would get a CEL if they ran the ***** thumprs without a tune (keep in mind that this includes the phaser limiters and what I said earlier in the original post about it needing a tune). And just to clear things up, I do not have these cams in my car...just the factory ones but I would like to. Just in case you were wondering.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 PM
JimC

Okay, now you are being confusing.

You don't have the cams in your car now, and want to know if the Ford as delivered tune can work? I highly doubt that given what you have to change with the cams.

So are you saying that you ordered a tune from Bama for the cams, installed it on your car ----- but you don't have the cams installed yet? If so, THAT is why you are getting a CEL. That tune won't run properly if you don't have the mods it was designed for.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 PM
JimC

And yes, with the modifications you listed it is likely that the seller left the tune on the car but kept the tuner. Off road exhaust would throw a CEL otherwise because of the missing cats.

So your "stock tune" is now the tune that is on the car when you go to load a new tune.

But no one can really answer your questions if you don't tell us what the codes were for the CEL. That is the answer to "why" you have the CEL with the new tune. Unless you ordered a tune for the cams that you don't have and loaded it on the car.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:01 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Oh boy, chalk up another Bama' caused headache. from what ive read, the reason you need the limiters is for the computer advancing or retarding the "stage 2" cams to much. these are interference engines and if the aftermarket cam advances or retards the cams to much, the pistons will hit the valves, thus the need for limiters. AFAIK, you will for sure need a tune for just the cams alone, most likely the limiters as well. unless your going to go FI sometime in the future, putting new cams in is basically a waste of money and low end TQ. I'm very curious as to how your car passed inspection with long tubes in TX because to get the CEL not to come on, the rear O2 sensors are turned off. anti-foulers maybe but still would get a sensor not ready code. oh well. if it were me, I would leave the car alone since it seems to be very happy with the tune that came on it when you purchased it. good luck
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
Oh boy, chalk up another Bama' caused headache. from what ive read, the reason you need the limiters is for the computer advancing or retarding the "stage 2" cams to much. these are interference engines and if the aftermarket cam advances or retards the cams to much, the pistons will hit the valves, thus the need for limiters. AFAIK, you will for sure need a tune for just the cams alone, most likely the limiters as well. unless your going to go FI sometime in the future, putting new cams in is basically a waste of money and low end TQ. I'm very curious as to how your car passed inspection with long tubes in TX because to get the CEL not to come on, the rear O2 sensors are turned off. anti-foulers maybe but still would get a sensor not ready code. oh well. if it were me, I would leave the car alone since it seems to be very happy with the tune that came on it when you purchased it. good luck
I'm not trying to confuse anyone here and I'm sorry if I have. But
aside from the Bama tune...my main question is this: Will running these cams with the phaser limiters on a STOCK tune give you a CEL? That's essentially what I'm trying to ask.

Because I know running any other cam that does NOT require phaser limiters (e.g. FRPP hot rod cams, brenspeed detroit rockers), on the stock tune will NOT give you a CEL. That's what I am asking just to clear things up.

Last edited by 'stangdude; 06-25-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

And yes, with the modifications you listed it is likely that the seller left the tune on the car but kept the tuner. Off road exhaust would throw a CEL otherwise because of the missing cats.

So your "stock tune" is now the tune that is on the car when you go to load a new tune.

But no one can really answer your questions if you don't tell us what the codes were for the CEL. That is the answer to "why" you have the CEL with the new tune. Unless you ordered a tune for the cams that you don't have and loaded it on the car.
Okay, I did mention in my post that "I am looking in to getting these cams..." so no, I do not have them yet.

Sorry for the confusion, but all I am trying to ask here is this: Will running the factory tune (no bama tune or anything else) with these cams installed + limiters give you a CEL?

If the phaser limiter kit was not required to run these cams, I would not have made this post because I know that the FRPP and Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams can run without an aftermarket tune and not give a CEL. However, the difference here is that both of those cams (frpp and brenspeed) are to be installed WITHOUT the phaser limiters, unlike the ***** Thumpr cams which are the ones I plan on buying and require phaser limiters.

Anyway, do you see what I am trying to ask now? Again, sorry for any confusion!

Last edited by 'stangdude; 06-25-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 AM
JimC

Since the cams you want require phaser limiters, that isn't stock. So no, you can't run a stock Ford tune with those cams.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Since the cams you want require phaser limiters, that isn't stock. So no, you can't run a stock Ford tune with those cams.
Okay but if you did, would that throw a code and give you a CEL?

Search this Thread