Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 GT LIMP MODE

Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 AM
jimmyschroeder

Default 06 GT LIMP MODE

Alright looking to see if some one could maybe lead me to a solution. 06 GT start it up has an erratic idle. So far I have changed the fuel filter put in new plugs has MSD coil packs, SR performance throttle body put in a new throttle position sensor, new throttle body motor. cleaned the MAF. Has new pacesetter long tubes cat delete. flow master 40s. I can start the car run it down the street and before I even hit the stop sign the wrench and check engine light come on throwing me into limp mode. Could I be having an issue with the accelerator pedal sensor. I have a new one just haven't put on yet. Is there anything that I might be missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Mustang_Don

If you removed the cat converters, what did you do to fool the ECU into thinking they are present and accounted for and functioning properly? That's the first thought that comes to mind.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
jimmyschroeder

I just deleted them in the tune as well. Could the cats cause it to go into limp mode. I might just find some aftermarket cats and weld them in.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 AM
jimmyschroeder

I just ordered a h pipe with cats the car is to loud with out them anyway. Ive been running it with out the cats for around 6 months and never threw a code or any problems.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

If the car is going LIMP it should be throwing a code, but given your list of mods, my guess is that it has something to do with your aftermarket throttle body.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Stangbass
If the car is going LIMP it should be throwing a code, but given your list of mods, my guess is that it has something to do with your aftermarket throttle body.
+1, The majority of aftermarket TB's for these cars are junk right from the start. I'd probably start from scratch and put most of the factory stuff back on, then start adding things back in to see where the problem starts. Changing too many things at once makes it hard to figure which part or combination of parts is causing the issue.

Also, The MSD coils are another area of concern, again, OEM coils seem to be the most reliable with the majority of aftermarkets being junk. Perhaps at the very least put the TB and Coils back to OEM and see if the problem goes away.

If you never had issues with the Long Tubes then you're probably ok there.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
jimmyschroeder

the aftermarket throttle body was put on after it started messing up it didn't solve any of the issue. the plugs tb tps and throttle body motor were put on trying to solve the issue. I will have to check what codes come on when I get home it has something like the throttle is getting stuck open forcing it to go into limp. The limp mode doesn't let the car do 30 like ive seen others post it will completely disengage the throttle . wont even pull its self.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:52 PM
jimmyschroeder

I also only changed one thing at a time trying to figure out which one would solve the issue that's why I haven't put the accelerator pedal on yet, but was going to.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM
jimmyschroeder

switched the accelerator pedal last night seems to have fixed the idle issue. drove a couple miles thought the issue was fixed then on the way back wrench light came on shut car off restarted got to the house checked codes. P2104 P2111.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

I got "Forced Limited Power" (Limp Mode) and it ran terribly poorly, but did run. Transmission (5R55S) jerked and bucked.

Then got "Forced Engine Idle", gas pedal did absolutely nothing. Replaced entire TB assembly, brand new. Same issues.

Turned out to be the ABS Module shutting me down. REplaced with a used one, Issues gone. imp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 GT LIMP MODE