Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 GT LIMP MODE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jimmyschroeder
switched the accelerator pedal last night seems to have fixed the idle issue. drove a couple miles thought the issue was fixed then on the way back wrench light came on shut car off restarted got to the house checked codes. P2104 P2111.
Welp, those are related to the throttle body and the drive by wire system respectively... (pedal possibly). Check the wires for broken or exposed sections (at the firewall) . It sounds like the position of the pedal is not corresponding with the expected position of the TB.

I have read that there's a calibration procedure for the accelerator pedal sensor but noone ever seems to cite their source. Some swear by it, others say it's in your head.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/...-Wire-Throttle

This link below is the actual relearn procedure from a Ford Master Tech for the Throttle by Wire system. One thing is he completely wipes the PCM memory with a jumper cable. That's something a handheld won't do and disconnecting the battery is too uncertain. It's also something most people, including myself don't do. Maybe we get lucky or maybe our problems aren't as severe as to require that complete wipe.

Give that a shot. If not, You might be better off at this point taking it somewhere to have them diagnose it. $100 for a definite answer or keep spinning your wheels trying to chase it down. At least you have codes now.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM
jimmyschroeder

wondering what the chances of a bad pcm
Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

I would put the stock throttle body back on if you still have it. The P2111 is what is causing the P2104.

Check and make sure that the throttle return spring is operational within the full travel of the blade. Also you can put the car in "RUN" without turning it ON. Have someone cycle the accelerator to the floor and make sure that the throttle blade is moving smoothly and isn't binding

Last edited by Stangbass; 07-27-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 AM
jimmyschroeder

OK last night I put another new throttle body motor on SR performance throttle body which says it does not need a tune. left the throttle body unbolted rotated to where I could see it from the see keyed on pressed pedal it was operation exactly like it was supposed to fired up exact same problem. Got the old throttle body out and cleaned it up all nice put switched over the tps and motor put on fired up runs perfect punched to the floor wants to take off sideways. So I might have had a issue with the pedal and dirty throttle body. trying to get more power instead of just cleaning the tb I get a bigger one that just happened to be no good . I guess I will be contacting American Muscle. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

TB upgrade without a tune? I don't think I've heard that one before.

I've heard of a CAI without a tune. That was borderline ok but at times cars would run lean. They have have a restrictor you typically run without the tune. When you remove the restrictor, it requires a tune.

If you still want a TB upgrade I see the GT500 TB is only a few bucks more than the SR one. Just be aware the GT500 one requires a tune ...funny cost the two are nearly identical in size (SR = 62 mm twin/ FRPP = 60 mm twin)

Don't know what SR was/is thinking. You're changing the flow characteristics of the intake.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Jesse Bosar

Default 06 mustang stuck in limp mode

I'm having all or had same issues as the rest of you guys I've repaired everything car will not come out of limpmode any ideas I'm going crazy over here I did have the bbk tb on when car went to crap everything is all back to stock
Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

My suggestion from two years ago still stands. Take it to a shop, have them diagnosis, then fix it yourself.

Part of being a good DIYer is knowing your limits and capabilities. Nothing wrong in having someone with the tools and expertise find the issue for you.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Jesse Bosar

Originally Posted by Derf00
My suggestion from two years ago still stands. Take it to a shop, have them diagnosis, then fix it yourself.

Part of being a good DIYer is knowing your limits and capabilities. Nothing wrong in having someone with the tools and expertise find the issue for you.
And I did take it to ford $250 for them to tell me TB was bad I put another on check engine light is gone but limp mode is on.... I've did the procedure for TB I've went over car with fine eye took it back to another shop today just to have them tell me something I already know forced idle...... and they could not get it off.....
Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Do you have any aftermarket mods on the car? When you go to the dealer for idle/fuel/air issues they will typically upload the latest factory tune to the car. If you have any aftermarket items that require a tune, like an intake, headers, etc, the car will run poorly because the factory tune is not written for mods. You will need to reinstall your aftermarket tune to see if the problem has really been taken care of with the new part. That is the most likely reason the problem still persists and noone can seem to figure it out. Tune.

Personal experience here with that problem.....
Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 PM
Jesse Bosar

Originally Posted by Derf00
Do you have any aftermarket mods on the car? When you go to the dealer for idle/fuel/air issues they will typically upload the latest factory tune to the car. If you have any aftermarket items that require a tune, like an intake, headers, etc, the car will run poorly because the factory tune is not written for mods. You will need to reinstall your aftermarket tune to see if the problem has really been taken care of with the new part. That is the most likely reason the problem still persists and noone can seem to figure it out. Tune.

Personal experience here with that problem.....
I'll try the tune again...... tomorrow as of right now only thing is limp mode no check engine lights no codes but it does still have exhaust system intake on car

Quick Reply: 06 GT LIMP MODE