Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear gears questions for 06 GT auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

I would think 3.73 would be a much better compromise between daily drive-ability and track use.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt
what about this Traction-Lok rebuild kit that is suggested as an add-on option. Worthwhile?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html
Definitely worth the money if the rear differential is going to be stripped down anyway.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

So the Ford dealership wouldn't quote me for this install job. Their technician said, in his experience, a car with as many miles as mine (125,000) should instead get a full Trans unit, already built. He was concerned with the new gears affecting other components that have seen all the miles. I thought that was the purpose of the installation kit, to use new bearings and such, but I guess there are other concerns along the line of power transmission, such as the torque converter.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So the Ford dealership wouldn't quote me for this install job. Their technician said, in his experience, a car with as many miles as mine (125,000) should instead get a full Trans unit, already built. He was concerned with the new gears affecting other components that have seen all the miles. I thought that was the purpose of the installation kit, to use new bearings and such, but I guess there are other concerns along the line of power transmission, such as the torque converter.

Take it to a another dealer shop or 3rd party shop that does real repairs, not just R&R (remove and replace). The dealer you're at is worried about comebacks due to shoddy workmanship which show up more often when you have inexperienced techs or techs that suck working on the line. Installing rear gears incorrectly (even in a new differential) in a brand new car can lead to problems if installed incorrectly.

If you are bored and want to test that theory, call them up and tell them you have a 2016 Mustang with 7K miles and 3.55 gears in it. You want to upgrade to 3.73 or 4.10. They'll probably give you the same BS only cite warranty as the issue this time. A good dealer will say sure but, be aware you may shorten your warranty.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

So the Ford dealership wouldn't quote me for this install job. Their technician said, in his experience, a car with as many miles as mine (125,000) should instead get a full Trans unit, already built. He was concerned with the new gears affecting other components that have seen all the miles.
Choose another shop. It's obvious this stealership is f***ing useless.