Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear gears questions for 06 GT auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:06 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear gears questions for 06 GT auto

Thinking about going to steeper rear gears for more acceleration. Read the guide on AM, which suggests getting the install kit (shims, bearings, etc) if you have a lot of miles already on the old gears. I have 125k miles. It also suggests 3.73s or 4.10s for autos. (The AM kit for both is out of stock at the moment.) It also says something about a Traction LOK rebuild kit too.

Do I get the install kit, Traction LOK kit, and 4.10s? Sounds like it's best to let someone at the shop do the install?

My 06 GT automatic is my daily driver. I have a short commute to work, but maybe once or twice a month I'll drive 100+ miles highway to the beach or just cruising at 75mph. Haven't been to the track yet, but possibly will in the coming years.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:10 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Also, sounds like I would not need a special gear for the speedometer if I can just use my Bama tuner to correct for the new gears, correct? So would the plan be to have the shop do the install, and then before I drive the car home from the shop, install the new tune? That's it?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:14 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Bama tuner will change the rear gears to correct the speedo. You can select just that parameter I believe, so you won't need a new tune, just need to select 4.10s every time you change tunes.
You are correct with the install kit, not sure about the traction lok kit, but while your doing it, might as well.
The job is doable, but if there is any doubt, take it to a shop.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kevsgt
Thinking about going to steeper rear gears for more acceleration. Read the guide on AM, which suggests getting the install kit (shims, bearings, etc) if you have a lot of miles already on the old gears. I have 125k miles. It also suggests 3.73s or 4.10s for autos. (The AM kit for both is out of stock at the moment.) It also says something about a Traction LOK rebuild kit too.

Do I get the install kit, Traction LOK kit, and 4.10s? Sounds like it's best to let someone at the shop do the install?

My 06 GT automatic is my daily driver. I have a short commute to work, but maybe once or twice a month I'll drive 100+ miles highway to the beach or just cruising at 75mph. Haven't been to the track yet, but possibly will in the coming years.

Not sure if you'll want/like 4.10 with the Auto. 1st is shorter in the 5r55s than the manual transmission counterparts to help the auto stang makeup for the extra drive train loss and make them match the 0-60mph of the manual.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0501p...-ford-mustang/
Gear ratios (manual): 3.38, 2.00, 1.32, 1.00, 0.67
Gear ratios (automatic): 3.25, 2.44, 1.55, 1.00, 0.75
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

should I ask the shop to give me the factory gears that they remove, in case I want to go back to them (for mpg purposes perhaps)? And the associated bearings and shims with it?

Where besides AM might you suggest I look for the 4.10 or 3.73 gear kit?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt
should I ask the shop to give me the factory gears that they remove, in case I want to go back to them (for mpg purposes perhaps)? And the associated bearings and shims with it?

Where besides AM might you suggest I look for the 4.10 or 3.73 gear kit?
1. Definitely yes.
2. You could also try Summit Racing.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

IMO, anyone who has not experienced 4.10 gears with an automatic transmission will usually be impressed in two ways: The neck-snapping acceleration, and the increase in number of times back at the gas pump. imp
Old 08-04-2017, 03:15 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

If you're going to swap in 4.10 axle gears on an automatic, I'd also recommend upgrading to a 3000rpm stall torque converter. Combining the two will really wake the car up.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

^^^^^ He's right. I went a different route. I added the torque converter after the supercharger and its probably my second favorite mod i had done. It really wakes the car up. Id also suggest having a trusted shop do the install of the gears
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks folks. Looks like the 4.10s w/ kit just came back in stock at AM. Before I buy it and take it to the shop, what about this Traction-Lok rebuild kit that is suggested as an add-on option. Worthwhile?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html