Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tr3650 no 5th gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Tr3650 no 5th gear!!

As stated above. Trans goes into gear, but doesn't grab at all. Any ideas? Really hoping Im not looking at a rebuild. I can put trans in 5th and let out the clutch without stalling, its like being in neutral.

Trans is "new" to me. Just swapped GT drivetrain into my V6.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Does the car behave the same way when you try the other gears?
It sounds as though the clutch isn't engaging but I need more information.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:17 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

All other gears work perfectly, including reverse. Plenty of power, no slipping either. Its just fifth gear. I also installed a hurst shifter, no idea if that plays into it at all.

So it goes into fifth, I let out the clutch and its just like being in neutral. I confirmed this at a stop light, and had a REALLY hard time yanking that sucker out of 5th. When I engage 5th on the freeway, and go to pull it out there is a nice crunching sound.. Sounds like the teeth on the gear, but im not sure. Appreciate the help

[Q2UOTE=Dino Dino Bambino;8602312]Does the car behave the same way when you try the other gears?It sounds as though the clutch isn't engaging but I need more information.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Also 3rd, and 4th are quite noisy in the low RPMs, and only under load. Right around 1700-1900 rpms it sounds like a diesel taking off.. But I think thats vibrations coming from the exhaust?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:48 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Did 5th gear work before you acquired the transmission? Because maybe its just broken or the gear inside is trashed.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Yes, my T5 still had all its gears. It was on its way out for sure though. Clutch was beyond gone.

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Did 5th gear work before you acquired the transmission? Because maybe its just broken or the gear inside is trashed.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

No i mean the 5th gear in the new transmission, because maybe it was busted before you got it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
So it goes into fifth, I let out the clutch and its just like being in neutral. I confirmed this at a stop light, and had a REALLY hard time yanking that sucker out of 5th. When I engage 5th on the freeway, and go to pull it out there is a nice crunching sound.
Seems that the 5th gear selector fork is at fault, but the Hurst shifter could also be preventing proper engagement of 5th gear.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 09-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:23 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
No i mean the 5th gear in the new transmission, because maybe it was busted before you got it.
If it is busted (which is what im leaning towards), It was definitely that way before I got it.. Got the trans from newtakeoff so Im kinda screwed here.

I have heard of people having problems with shifters before, but I don't feel thats the issue here. I can definitely feel it going into the gear via the shifter..
Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

If the problem is the selector fork, am I looking at a complete rebuild? In your opinions, what should I have done?

I have heard of people just having synchros/gears etc done before, its just I honestly have no idea what Im looking at here.. Ive never dug into a Tranny before, not sure if I want to either.