Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

OEM Sway bar bushing part number

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM
GTi

Default OEM Sway bar bushing part number

I need new bushings for my sway bar. My Mustang is 2008 GT manual coupe and my sway bar is 34mm thick.
There are polyurethane bushing all over internet but I'm afraid they will be too noisy and uncomfortable, so I decided to go for a OEM part. Now I have problem finding correct part number. I tried some online part catalogues and found this part number 4R3Z-5493-BA but they cant confirm that it fits my 34mm sway bar (its stock bar, but I don't know if there are other stock variations).
Can anyone help me to confirm that its correct part number?
Also if there is some other solution, better than OEM bushings, please recommend. But keeping in mind that Mustang suspension is already noisy compared to European cars (even Fords, my gf has Focus) so I wouldn't like to be even noisier.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Unless you have an aftermarket Sway bar or a GT-500, Ford didn't offer a different size bar from the factory for a Mustang GT. The v6 pony package I believe added or upgraded to the same size bar as the mustang gt so it would be the only model that may have a different size.

The part number you list is the exact same part number I bought for my 08GT. I checked my online invoice from Nov 2014 . Fits perfect.

Edit, Quick tip when you remove and reinstall your sway bar (and trust me on this)

Remove the sway-bar-end-links from the strut side and then remove the sway bar with the sway-bar-end-links still attached to it from the car. Then Remove the end-links from the sway bar to replace the bushings on the bar. Reinstall the sway bar end-links onto the sway bar and torque to the required 82 ft/lbs. Then reinstall the sway bar with the end-links attached.

Sway bar bracket to subframe is 52 Ft/lbs. Sway-bar-end-links to Strut are 82 ft lbs.

If you try to remove and install the sway bar with the end-links still attached to the strut, you won't have enough clearance for a torque wrench to tighten the sway bar to the sway-bar-end-links. You hit the subframe. Not torquing the sway-bar-end-links to 82 ft/lbs on both endds could give you thunking/clunking over bumps.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-06-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM
GTi

Aha. OK. Thanks for prompt reply.

P.S.
Love U'r signature and totally agree
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No worries, be sure to read my tip! I was probably still writing it when you posted.

Yeah, If you buy a 5.0 (or any V8), your first concern shouldn't be MPG!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 PM
GTi

Yes, I just saw additional text.
Ford dealership over here doesn't want to service US models so I have to go to my local mechanic and these instruction will come very handy.
So, Thank You very much for the tip.