Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shop Install of Comp Cams Gone Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Shop Install of Comp Cams Gone Wrong?

To begin...Well, a while ago I decided to pull the trigger and go with comp cams' ***** Thumpr's. Great choice I made. After physically installing the camshafts in place, I horrifically threw off the timing before putting everything back together (I know, worst thing you could do). I did not have the time to take off the front cover (nor really cared to), so I had the car towed to the shop to have them re-time the engine.

They ordered new cam phasers, which are the updated design that Ford had made then installed the limiter kit that is required to run the ***** thumprs. I decided to drop by and see how everything looked while the cover was off. Well, I noticed a couple of things. First and foremost, the reluctor wheel of the cam phaser on the driver side had turned from it's original position. Here is that picture:

The first picture I attached is of the right side (passenger). The cam phaser appears exactly as it should from the factory with the right timing mark in between the two spokes and the middle of the three spokes in line with the left timing mark.

Well, take a look at the second attachment. It is of the left or driver side and you can see that the reluctor wheel appears to have moved 90 degrees to the right. Notice how that middle spoke of the three spokes of the reluctor wheel do not line up with the "L" timing mark.

So, I asked the technician about this and he told me that he had "unlocked" the driver side phaser and that it had moved its natural resting position and that he has yet to do the right side.

Now my question is this: Does that sound right? because I don't think the reluctor wheel is supposed to move. Or if it is, it shouldn't move a full 90 degrees like that?

Anyway, it looks like the colored link on the timing chain is in line with the phaser which means it should be properly timed (i'm pretty sure).

Here is the crappy part:

I got the car back, and it seemed to have started fine as well as run fine. However, I did get two CEL's that the shop told me they were aware of. The codes were P0345 and P0349 which are, respectively, Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2), and Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent.

OK--the shop told me that this was a "tuning issue". Well, I had already loaded the tune before I dropped the car off from BAMA, so I know the car is running the right tune. I did call BAMA to confirm everything, and they said that everything on the tune (including the limiter kit) was accounted for.

I did some diagnosing myself thinking it might be the alternator since I have heard that is a common problem with this code. Well the alternator passed the charging system test. I even swapped the camshaft position sensors and the code did not move to the passenger side (bank 1), so I know it is not a bad sensor. The wiring appears to be okay, but that's the last thing I can think of as far as the electrical side is concerned.

What do you think it is? Is it possible that this code exist because the tech "unlocked" the cam phaser or whatever he told me? I'm not so sure because he said he was going to do the passenger side as well and there is no code for that. Anyway, I am at a loss and am really hoping it is not something they screwed up.
Attached Thumbnails Shop Install of Comp Cams Gone Wrong?-right-side-with-marks-updated.png   Shop Install of Comp Cams Gone Wrong?-left-side-with-marks.png  
Old 01-13-2018, 04:12 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

One thing I noticed was a video installation of cam phasers that Late Model Restoration did on Youtube. Here is the video link:
At 0:54 seconds you will see the new phaser and the orientation of the reluctor wheel. Throughtout the entire video, not ONCE did they do anything to it to make it turn. Around 2:50 is the last time you see the valve cover open with the new cam phaser in place. Notice how it looks different from the one on my car on the drivers side. My guess is that there has GOT to be something wrong with the way mine was installed.

Please note that I visually inspected both new phasers before they installed them on my car and they looked exactly the same as in the reluctor wheel had not moved. Also, just to avoid confusion and as a reminder, the tech told me he had not "unlocked" the passenger phaser YET (that's when I took the pictures--same ones I posted here), so I assume the reluctor wheel moved on that side as well after he "unlocked" it. Funny how I only got a code on the driver side.

Anyway, I hope this helps solve this headache of a mystery.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:53 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it does seem possible to me, that the drivers side reluctor wheel might be out of position. the cams
themselves might be in perfect time with respect to the crankshaft and that is why it runs
normal.

if the reluctor wheel is out of position than the cam sensor will note a discrepancy.

if you do not want to remove the front cover and retime, you could have VCT disabled in the tune
and have the fault codes 0345 and 0349 disabled in the tune also, to get rid of the MIL.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
it does seem possible to me, that the drivers side reluctor wheel might be out of position. the cams
themselves might be in perfect time with respect to the crankshaft and that is why it runs
normal.

if the reluctor wheel is out of position than the cam sensor will note a discrepancy.

if you do not want to remove the front cover and retime, you could have VCT disabled in the tune
and have the fault codes 0345 and 0349 disabled in the tune also, to get rid of the MIL.
Hey thanks for the reply. So, update. I was correct about them screwing up the drivers side. Got the new phaser put on their even though the one in the picture was new, and the codes went away.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good deal, glad the codes are gone!