Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 GT with Major Power issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

Default 2005 GT with Major Power issue

Hey all,

I have a 2005 GT convertible. I bought the car dead stock with 3:23 gears. When I bought it I would say it was quick but not crazy, like any other mustang. Could chirp 2nd but that is it. I bought the car with 90,000 miles or 150K. Since owning it I have put 1500 miles on her in two years. She is only driven 4 months a year.

So I made the move to add a kenne bell 2.6L supercharger kit. 10 PSI pulley with the liquid intercooler. I did the install myself, took 21 hours and was quite fun. I should say I bought the kit used. I sent the blower to Kenne Bell to have it checked and a new pulley was added and bought almost all new parts to do the install. I added the brisk plugs as recommended and the colder thermostat. The tune was done remotely by DB performance in Minnesota. I also had it re-checked here in Vancouver to verify it was a solid tune. Mopac a local racing shop said it was good, even a little hot. Hot means fast in my mind. car runs on 94 octane only.

I would say the car felt no faster than stock. Again could chirp 2nd but that it. I thought well it has slow *** gears and the traction bars I added, so I added ford performance 3:73's. Yes it is better but I figured it would be scary fast. Kenne bell claims my kit should be 470+ to my wheels. I can say without question that I do not feel faster than stock.

I should also say I have an offroad H pipe with brand new Borla Touring axle backs. I had flowmaster American Thunder but it was too loud. I would say the exhaust sounds ****** still. At WOT its a dumptruck and when I let off it bumbles and pops and sounds almost like an import. Makes me think something is wrong.

OK so I thought maybe I was just off and out to lunch on how 500HP should feel. So I went to misson (a local drag strip) and ran her down the track. Yeah not good. I ran a 14.04 @ 102 mph. I launched fine since it barely breaks the tires. Chirped second and ran down straight and I shifted smooth and fast. I was in 4th when I crossed. I threw her in neutral and right away the check engine light comes on. When I check it I got a miss in Cylinder 8.

According to motor trend a stock 2005 GT is 13.5 - 14 sec depending on driver and conditions. SO I've spent $5 - 10,000 to be slower than stock...... BULLS@$t!!!!!

Someone, anyone help me. Why do I not have any power?

Based on the misfire. I thought Fuel, air and spark. When I did the install I reused the ignition coils. Today I ordered the MSD blaster ones on AM. Would old warn coils rob my power? Like steal it all?

I also notices today (day after my drag run) that my intercooler reservoir is still and not pumping. Pump is on but no fluid movement. (air in the lines???)

Car has the boost a pump (bought new) and I would say it is a PIG on fuel now.

I should add that I do have a boost gauge and wideband.

Boost gauge shows 20 vaccum off throttle and 10 psi on WOT

wideband is 11ish at WOT, 15ish at idle or cruising and goes to 17 ish off throttle

I thought of one more thing. Those of you with a twin screw SC, can you hear the whine over your exhaust? With the offroad pipe i hear no whine at all. Is that another issue or Just a loud exhaust on a vert blocking out the SC whine?

I look at my belt and see no signs of wear or slipping

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You will have to have it Dyno'd, and hooked up to a tuner to check what's
going on with the motor. It could be pulling time, who knows. Did you gap
your plugs for boost? The gap should be less under boost, usually .028
down to .024 - if there is detonation, or timing being pulled, you won't
see the numbers.

All the boost could be dumping out the waste-gate, or bypass, whatever it's called on
a supercharger.

Did you also upgrade the fuel injectors?

You should be pushing 435 (whp) to the wheels.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:00 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

you need to get dyne tuned and checked out. Did you do the gear swap yourself or have the shop do it? Did you call the two shops that did and check the tune about your lack of any new performance.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:36 AM
cedarmn
1st Gear Member

OK I will install the new ignition coils. While doing so I will recheck the gap on the plugs. If she is still off I will get her to a shop for a new dyno tune

As for the gears I had a mechanic do that job for me. That is too much for me on jack stands