Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear End Noise from My 2005 Mustang Gt

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Focus0828

I have not checked the axle oil level yet. I plan to do some more investigating this weekend. This morning i drive to work and no sound...not a peep. So it comes and goes. Really confusing. I was hoping it was something simple like the bears but wouldn't the bearings make a sound no matter if going forward or in reverse? But I do agree with you I think I have ruled out the diff as of now. That just makes it more confusing. I'll keep you posted as I check more. Your help has been much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Focus0828

Update: finally was able to have a look at the axle this weekend. It's hard to identify exactly where the sound comes from as it resonates but I did notice 1 glaring thing. The passenger side of my axle appears very dry when compared to the driver side. I'm guessing the lack of lubrication could be the cause?

Passenger side axle

Driver side
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

LOL the outside of the axle is supposed to be dry (the oil goes inside). The dryness that I was talking about was in reference to moving parts that are not immediately visible. So the dryness you see is not a problem. That wetness, though... looks like you have a leak. A leak which may have lost enough gear oil to starve the bearings. Maybe. Depends on how low the oil level has gotten.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Focus0828

I have a question. I don't know much about the drive shaft. My question is does it turn at the same speed of the tire rotation? Any chance a bad drive shaft could be the issue. My thinking is that the sound may be hard to pinpoint not because it is resonating under the car but because the drive shaft extends down the middle and the whole thing is making the noise.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Focus0828
I have a question. I don't know much about the drive shaft. My question is does it turn at the same speed of the tire rotation? Any chance a bad drive shaft could be the issue. My thinking is that the sound may be hard to pinpoint not because it is resonating under the car but because the drive shaft extends down the middle and the whole thing is making the noise.
No, that is why you have an axle ratio, that would be a 1.00 differential.

So, say you have a 3.51 the drive shaft spins 3.51 times for every one tire rotation. This
changes with larger or smaller tires though.

I am currently getting a knocking noise as I coast to a stop, in gear. I think it's the
rear U-joints, not sure. It's not the fluid in the DIFF, was doing it before I changed
the gear oil. Sounds like; kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh, sound. If I take it out of gear, it
doesn't do it. Sounds like it's in sync with the tire rotation, making it bearings, the axle
moving side to side but it doesn't stop as I brake or pull the ER brake. It's been
doing it since I got it actually, it's just getting louder.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM
Focus0828

Thanks for the reply. This is my way of learning more about the more complicated systems like the driverain and engine. Just a newb trying to learn more. My basic knowledge is general maintenance, brakes, etc...thanks for the lesson. I think I'll just order a new axle like I started to. Just needed some other opinionn before I ordered it
Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
So, say you have a 3.51 the drive shaft spins 3.51 times for every one tire rotation. This
changes with larger or smaller tires though........
08: Not being a pick. The OP should understand that 3.51 or whatever gear ratio exists, is UNCHANGED by tire size. Tire size only changes how fast the driveshaft turns comparatively.
(You knew that). imp
Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I know the gear ratio does not change, I didn't say the ratio changed. I indicated
the shaft spins 3.51 times per wheel rotation, but changes with larger or smaller tires.
I did not say the gear ratio changes with larger or smaller tires, the shaft turns, as
I said... Yeah, I knew..
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 AM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Check the vent on the top of the axle tube. They have been known to leak especially if the car is tracked, raced or in extreme heat conditions.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That's showing quite a lot of leakage, maybe enough to indicate low fluid level.

I'm having trouble figuring out what that oil-soaked bar under the axle might be. Looks too close to the diff to be an LCA.

Norm

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise from My 2005 Mustang Gt