Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 Ford Mustang GT Running Lean And Rich (Need Advice/Help)

Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 PM
DoniZ

Default 2006 Ford Mustang GT Running Lean And Rich (Need Advice/Help)

Hello,

I am new to posting on forums and this is the first time I ever made an account to post a Thread, so sorry if I am doing something wrong. I tried searching for this problem but came up with no real answer to my situation.

Around July I purchased a 2006 Ford Mustang GT with around 133k from an auction. The car was sold as a non running vehicle since it had idle problems and could not drive without losing all throttle response and stalling. The car has a set of Pacesetter long-tube headers and an Air-raid CAI (the one that requires a tune). At first I replaced the Throttle body but that did absolutely nothing then i decided to replace the aftermarket CAI with the Stock air box and boom, car ran perfect except I have 3 codes that will not go away. I thought it might have been a issue with the car not being tuned but I managed to get in contact with the previous owner by some miracle and he told me the car does have a tune (93 Bama Race Tune). So now I am confused because if the car had a tune, then there should have been no problem with the cold air intake. I am planning on buying the Tuner from him soon but I need some help because maybe it is not the tune and I do not want too much money ( im willing to spend up to like ~ $300, anymore has to wait a couple weeks or days ) since I can not afford to spent too much on the car right now. The o2 sensors were already replaced, I have not checked the wires but I might do that when the weather gets warmer.

The codes are
P0158 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

P2270 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2

Just as of last week, this popped up aswell

P2273 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 2 Sensor 2

The car currently has 144k and I have had no other problems so far with the car but it is time to register it and I need emissions, so any help and advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Since you now have the stock airbox back on the car, I suggest you reprogram the ECU with the original stock tune. For that you'll need to get the tuner from the previous owner.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

does it have all of the O2 sensors and are they hooked up properly. check for exhaust leaks bad wires?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM
DoniZ

I should have mentioned that the car has an offroad H-Pipe as well but there are no cat codes that are coming on, just the o2 sensor codes. all of them are pluged in and replaced. I was wondering how much help would going back to stock and getting a new tune from bama would help. Just for the long tube headers.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:54 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

does it still have the cats?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Hopefully when you get the tuner from the previous owner, it still has the stock tune on it. I hate to say it but your never going to pass emissions with the long tubes and no cats PERIOD. your bama tunes aren't helping anything either, they are pretty much junk. whats happening is that your tune turns off the rear O2 sensors. on top of that, the headers move the upstream sensors farther down and they wont come up to temp fast enough for the ECU loop cycle and thus you get the CEL and codes. now your ECU has no idea how much fuel to add to the air since it cant read info from the O2 sensors and since running lean is very bad, its adding fuel so its rich. one bank to the other tho is odd- 1 side lean, other rich. several tuners including SCT were hit with fines not to long ago for messing with OEM emissions components (I.E. giving users the option to turn off O2 sensors). good luck
Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM
DoniZ

i should probably consider just installing the stock manifolds or some shorty headers and putting in some hi flow cats. might make the car a little less loud and fix my emissons. thanks you
Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 AM
DoniZ

thought i would post a quick update since i have not been on in a while, I bought the tuner and the original headers from the owner which happens to be a Diablosport Intune 2. I discovered that the current tune on the vehicle is not a custom tune but it is a 87 octane canned tune which could explain the codes I am getting. I am going get a custom tune since I have some cash and do the defouler trick and I will see what happens. I will let you guys know.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, did the tuner still have the original, stock tune on it? As i was reading this I was hoping you'd get it and it would have your original tune... then at least you would have a stock baseline to go back to...
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM
DoniZ

yea i got the tuner back, it had the stock tune on it and the tune the car was running was a 87 can tune. i already put the stock headers back on, upr off road x pipe and it fixed most of the codes. all i have left to do is put the tune back to stock and i will be back close to stock. thankfully i found the original owner or else i would have to take it to ford